My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many remember my original thread of my minty 22685 Toro with the 'Zuk 2 cycle engine. It starts after 2-3 pulls runs clean and good for 20 minutes or so then slows and dies. It will re-start run for 5 minutes then die. Won't re-start...so it sits for 15 -20 minutes then start and runs good for 20 then dies same process.

I am thinking ignition coil but I haven't heard that these go bad on the Zuk motors but I could be wrong. Any one have superior knowledge on this or a Zuk with a bad coil? Anything I am missing? Seals seem ok, compression is good.

Thanks

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
I don't know if thats the deal with yours but Suzuki had two versions of the electronic ignition moduals. The older ones were longer and look electronic while the newer ones actually look like a coil you would find on an engine with points. (hope that makes sense)

Anyway I've had one go bad on me and in order to upgrade to the newer style modual <-(sp) you will have to replace both the flywheel and coil pack....they must match you cannot swap newer coils with older flywheels....kinda like swapping the points coil for the electronic modual.

On mine, the only way I could get my mine to start was to set it in the sun for about an hour before I wanted to use it......(inconvenient) But after many months of searching I found a donor mower and stripped it of the newer style coil. (good luck they are few and far between and expensive)

Here is a pic of the two styles...old on the right.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if thats the deal with yours but Suzuki had two versions of the electronic ignition moduals. The older ones were longer and look electronic while the newer ones actually look like a coil you would find on an engine with points. (hope that makes sense)

Anyway I've had one go bad on me and in order to upgrade to the newer style modual <-(sp) you will have to replace both the flywheel and coil pack....they must match you cannot swap newer coils with older flywheels....kinda like swapping the points coil for the electronic modual.

On mine, the only way I could get my mine to start was to set it in the sun for about an hour before I wanted to use it......(inconvenient) But after many months of searching I found a donor mower and stripped it of the newer style coil. (good luck they are few and far between and expensive)

Here is a pic of the two styles...old on the right.

Indy thanks...the one I have is like the one on the left. Toro wants $131 for it !!!:thSick:

On mine it seems like as it gets hot (20 minutes of running the mowr slowly dies)....carb clogged? Don't know -seems like its consistant about 20 minutes of running then it quits.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Oh yeah. Zuki coils fail, maybe not as often some of these LB's, but they do conk out. That's one of the worst features of owning a Zuki. It's the price of the parts of which many still come from Zuki in Japan. The over seas ride sure is getting expensive! I've had a few chances to lock into a few Toro's needing some parts for completion, but that $130 coil issue and finicky Mikuni and a few others have kept me at bay. Maybe someday though.

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Just a quick shot in the dark. When the mower stops running try loosening the fuel cap.
That was my 1st thought too, but it is probably the coil. However, loosening the cap to test the theory won't cost you anything.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was my 1st thought too, but it is probably the coil. However, loosening the cap to test the theory won't cost you anything.
That's step one in the stops running while hot handbook. Did that first time it konked out. Def not the fuel cap.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is another "hail mary" kinda thing......

But my JD at one time had a restriction in the fuel line and would stall after 15-20 minutes+/- somewhat consistently.

If you haven't already, try installing a clear fuel filter to make sure enough fuel is available.

Ya, I know its a real long shot but its cheap.

I don't know how it stalls, but if it sputters before it stalls you could try shooting a bit of starting fluid in the carb and if it doesn't change much if any then you know its the coil.

good luck

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
any way the coil could be baked?
i hear it a lot with ppl's mower coils getting water, from somehow in there& "cooking"them in the oven cured them.
just a thought, 100 bones seems kinda high for a coil

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
any way the coil could be baked?
i hear it a lot with ppl's mower coils getting water, from somehow in there& "cooking"them in the oven cured them.
just a thought, 100 bones seems kinda high for a coil

If you think about his issue though, the mower is shutting off after 20 minutes, the engine is Hot by then, including the coil. I can understand trying to bake it if it doesnt start at all but not if the mower runs and it cuts out when its warm..

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Next time it stops, introduce fuel to the carb. intake and see if it runs. If it does, you just saved a coil replacement. If not, verify that it does not have spark and you have found the problem, you won't be throwing away $100+. Another thing to check in a less pleasant venue is that you have enough oil in the gas and the engine is not getting stiff and losing compression.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It appears that the Zuk coils to checkout too like the LBs. I checked the fueling issue. It's getting fuel and the cap works fine. It gets hot and quits. Before this started I always replace the fuel line and install a fuel cut-off and inline filter. All of these items are new and the only thing I can think is the coil heats and quits-it is 20 years old.

After it (the coil) cools it's back to running but it's becoming increasingly harder to start and well...I think I am going to have to eat the $131 for a new coil...:banghead3

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
If you think about his issue though, the mower is shutting off after 20 minutes, the engine is Hot by then, including the coil. I can understand trying to bake it if it doesnt start at all but not if the mower runs and it cuts out when its warm..

lol @ me.
yea i re-thought that, when it gets hot much like a flo.light the ballast cooks&no bulb ignition...

sheesh colds will fubar the old think melon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts