My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have 6yr old Toro 20383 with blade stop. It's been no problem since day one. Except for the last two mows. After about 45 minutes the machine sputters and surges then dies, will not restart. After a half hour or so it will restart and mow no problem, then it sputters and dies again. I checked the coil to ground, no spark. Half hour later starts and runs fine. Weak coil, intermittent open?
Where to buy another coil? Thanks.

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
I have 6yr old Toro 20383 with blade stop. It's been no problem since day one. Except for the last two mows. After about 45 minutes the machine sputters and surges then dies, will not restart. After a half hour or so it will restart and mow no problem, then it sputters and dies again. I checked the coil to ground, no spark. Half hour later starts and runs fine. Weak coil, intermittent open?
Where to buy another coil? Thanks.
Unfortunately, Toro does not offer the coil for purchase. That is one of Toro's biggest flaws. You can hardly get any parts for Toro engines. I will check my local dealer for a good used one. In their as is department, they often let me pull parts off of them. Feel free to PM me, and I will see if I can obtain one for you. Otherwise, I would look at an MTD Powermore 159cc engine coil.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
I just searched for "Toro 20383 parts", where I got to this url: https://www.toro.com/en-ca/parts/partdetails?id=43545, and for whatever reason, it has the "Ignition Assembly", Toro #136-7913, on the "Carburetor, Muffler, Air Cleaner and Valve Cover Assembly Engine Assembly No. 120-4412" page. It's listed as "Ignition Coil Kit,BBC" in the parts list pdf.

I don't know if it applies to your specific mower, as you didn't list a serial number, nor do I know if it will fix your problem.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I see them on ebay says fits toro 20383 but no good pic for 31.99 + 6 shipping.
Then a lot for MTD Powermore 195cc ignition module and they look like the ones the chinese toro has on them...for under 14.00

You should check numbers on your coil or your engine.

These are for 951-10646 ZS365 ZS370 98464 and 951-12013 ZS265 ZS270

951-10646 seems to be most common.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see them on ebay says fits toro 20383 but no good pic for 31.99 + 6 shipping.
Then a lot for MTD Powermore 195cc ignition module and they look like the ones the chinese toro has on them...for under 14.00

You should check numbers on your coil or your engine.

These are for 951-10646 ZS365 ZS370 98464 and 951-12013 ZS265 ZS270

951-10646 seems to be most common.
Thanks, I'll check the numbers on the coil before ordering.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My serial # is 31203560 it looks like the coil would be 121-0390.
Another question. Would the thermal choke cause the engine to sputter and die or a no spark from the coil when hot. I hate throwing parts at this.

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
My serial # is 31203560 it looks like the coil would be 121-0390.
Another question. Would the thermal choke cause the engine to sputter and die or a no spark from the coil when hot. I hate throwing parts at this.
The choke thermostat could cause it to sputter and die, but it will not cause the no spark condition.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the local Toro dealer. For $35 I'll have the coil (121-0390) by Tuesday. I don't get the connection between the choke thermostat and the coil unless I have two separate issues.

·
LBAD Victim
947 Posts
I called the local Toro dealer. For $35 I'll have the coil (121-0390) by Tuesday. I don't get the connection between the choke thermostat and the coil unless I have two separate issues.
There really is no connection between them. The choke thermostat is a small device on the muffler that opens when air moves through the muffler. When the engine is warm, there is a small locking device that is activated, which prevents the choke from closing. There is a linkage that runs between the thermostat and the carburetor. The linkage is attached to the choke butterfly on the carburetor. There is no connection between the coil and the thermostat that I can see.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, it sounds as though the choke is closing when the engine gets hot causing the machine to sputter and die. Replace the choke thermostat or linkage or perhaps a "shade tree quick fix"? Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts