My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Toro 20320 mower for $30. The guy said it runs but the transmission is shot. I got it with the bag, the plug that goes in the hole when you aren't using the bag, the original owner's manual, and oil change records from 1996 -2011. Looking at the records, he changed the oil every 3 months during the mowing season. He said that it got cleaned and polished after every mowing and has been well maintained. This guy was obsessed! (In a good way)

I started it up and the transmission makes clacking and grinding noises and jerks along. The belt doesn't slip and the pulley spins fine.

I have never opened or repaired any sort of transmission so I am hoping someone here will help.

I would imagine I start with removing it from the mower and opening it up. Then what am I looking for? Would it be better to try and find a used transmission for it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Its odd to here of any issues with a toro trans of that vintage and care in maintenance. I would try to tighten the cable before you do anything. The cable goes though a adjuster where the cable goes under the trans cover. Turn it clockwise a couple of clicks and retry. You may have to repete if it really out of adjustment. The bail should fully engage the trans about a 1/2" from the handle.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
2 Strokes Rule EPA Drools
405 Posts
Do not take off the transmission just tilt the mower carb side up and remove the bottom cover on the transmission many problems can be fixed without removing the transmission take a picture of the transmission with the cover off and post it. I may be able to tell you what's wrong also check the grease in the bottom cover for metal pieces.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the cover off this morning. While I was loosening the bolts that hold it on, some water, or what appeared to be water, leaked out. The grease inside is grey in color, not the usual tan. I don't know if that is normal. There were a couple of little metal pieces that fell out. Take a look at the pictures and let me know if you see anything else that is not right. Thanks.

Attachments

·
2 Strokes Rule EPA Drools
405 Posts
Check the shift keys it sounds like they are are broken or worn the shift keys are the 2 prongs that fit into the sliding ring on the transmission .

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've never seen grease that color. It's usually dark gray. Honestly, I think he cleaned the mower by spraying water in the wrong places and it contaminated the grease. I can't tell what that metal is that fell out. Almost looks like part of the gear case. You'll probably need to take the whole transmission out to check the shift keys. I don't see any gear damage in the pictures but again you'll need to look more closely. You may need to find a donor transmission.

·
2 strokes forever!
472 Posts
Use your favorite cleaner to clean out the gearbox fully. You may need to use an old small paintbrush and toothbrush to get all the stuff out. Once all that **** is gone, you'll see what let loose with the broken pieces and can determine where it came from. Transmissions really aren't that hard to repair once you see how they work. You'll save a boat load of $ repairing it yourself and also have a sense of pride of doing it yourself too.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Could you take another picture of the pieces? I can't quite make it out. It looks like newer white lithium grease that has mixed with existing grease. I wonder if it was serviced or repaired and a piece was left in the case. Old saying when working on cars, "last thing worked on, first thing checked".

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the shift keys it sounds like they are are broken or worn the shift keys are the 2 prongs that fit into the sliding ring on the transmission .
Could you point out which part in the diagram that is? I tried driving it around and it seems to work in 1st gear but now in 2nd and 3rd gear it just doesn't go at all. No grinding or anything anymore. Hope that helps you diagnose.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I have made grease that color. :) I had a tub of black grease, then I was about out and got one that was white. Made a nice grey color where it was mixed. No big deal. ;)

Also to 'rebuild' one of these is just that shift collar and keys. Really pretty easy just take your time and follow the manual. I have a repair manual for those with a great step by step on how to rebuild them. PM me with your email address if you want it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I will rebuild it and keep you guys posted along the way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Attatched is a picture of a sort of bushing that was on the output shaft of the transmission. Also, next to it, a broken piece of plastic, that fell out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I had one that had a lot of play in the bushings at the deck where the height adjusters fit. When the drive was engaged, it would almost put the trans in a bind. I wonder if something like that is going on here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally! I got the new bushing and took the whole transmission apart and cleaned it. I but the new bushing on and greased everything and put it back together. After a few adjustments of the cable, it works great and shifts easy! (Much thanks to Wolfy for the transmission repair manual. It helped immensely!)

I still need the cover that goes over the belt. I should ask the guy I got it from if he would have it still (he tinkered with it.) If anyone would happen to one, I would gladly buy it. For your reference, it fits the machines listed on this page. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/belt-cover-p-727292.html

Is there a cover that goes on the underside of the deck to protect the belt? If there isn't, I am going to start using this mower as my daily driver. If there is supposed to be a cover, I will wait until I get it before I do any mowing.

Thanks again for all the help. I will clean it up and take some pictures! I have to replace the gas line too (and fuel filter while I'm at it) because it is leaking. Other than that, it already runs fine!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts