My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have approximately 50, yes, FIFTY tomatoes growing from two tomatoe plants in my Topsy Turvy upside-down tomatoe planter.

They're springing up at about, 3 or more per day. One is about picking size, but still very much green.

I also have 14+ green peppers growing from two plants in two seperate hanging baskets. One is about 1/2 picking size.

Ofcourse, the peppers seem to do best on rainy days when they get constant watering all day rather than once or twice per day from a watering can.

The peas in the garden are growing and overgrowing faster than the two of us can make any use of them unfortunately. The beats about about perfect now for Beat Greens. The radishes are picking size.

The corn on the other hand...I have two short rows planted at the same time side by side from the same seed packet. One row is dark green and taller whereas the other row is bright green and shorter. The tallest plant is about 3' tall and is producing cob(s), as are a few others. I don't how corn grows exactly. The stalks are still growing, but it seems to me that they will never really mature.

But I got lots of tomatoes and peppers growing.

Cheers,
Coop

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad your Tomatos are doing good. I have never had that good of luck with the Topsy-Turvys!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Pic as of 3 weeks ago... One is "Big Beef" other is "Better Boy" and they are not producing as well as the standing ones... I think because they don't get near the sun there tomatoes need, I'll get a short harvest from all of them. Neighbor's shade trees have just about killed off my ability to grow "full sun" plants of most kinds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tomatoes are hanging from a pole off the deck on one side of the house and the peppers are hanging from the 10x10' metal gazebo frame on the other side of the house.

The house faces east, so these plants get sun all day lot, barring a crab apple tree out near the peppers, but they still get a lot of sun.

Didn't expect the pepper plants to do anything atall in reused hanging baskets given their size.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It takes forever for them to turn red.....

Now that looks clever. Is that tomatoes growing from the bottom, and peppers from the top of the same bucket? Punch holes in the sides and grow cukes too ;)

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
It takes forever for them to turn red.....
We have had good luck by taking green tomatoes off the vine (before the insects got them) and wrapped them in newspaper and stored them in a dark location. We also use this method late in the year (Nov) to salvage what green tomatoes are left. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have had good luck by taking green tomatoes off the vine (before the insects got them) and wrapped them in newspaper and stored them in a dark location. We also use this method late in the year (Nov) to salvage what green tomatoes are left. :thThumbsU
When I was a kid, all we did was pick them, and put them inside on the window sill.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You must have very little wind .Here in Iowa the wind would blow then things into the next county. I've trier them several time with no luck. Hang them out of the wind today and the wind changes during the nigh and beats them to death

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You must have very little wind .Here in Iowa the wind would blow then things into the next county. I've trier them several time with no luck. Hang them out of the wind today and the wind changes during the nigh and beats them to death
It's been a faily calm summer indeed. Even at work, ontop of an open hill next to a highway where the wind usually blows quite hard, it's been relatively calm.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts