My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tractor Forum gang has been very helpful in troubleshooting my lawn tractor issues. The Horse keeps running despite me. Some years back I had to have the top of the block replaced and ever since I occationally have a problem starting the tractor due to resistance in the cranking.

The Troy Bilt Horse usually runs fine, however I'm trying to figure out why the resistance is so high at times. If the battery is not at full charge, the starter will not be able to get the fly wheel past the hard spot. I don't know if it is due to internal pressure build up or a bit of warping in the block. And I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about it. Perhaps the work I had done to the block was imperfect.

When I have this problem, if I turn the flywheel past the tough spot, I'm usually able to start the beast. However, occationally I drain down the battery too much in my attempts and have to trickle charge, then wait.

Any thoughts on the best starting point for troubleshooting this sticky situation?

dgp

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
"If the battery is not at full charge, the starter will not be able to get the fly wheel past the hard spot. "
You may have answered your own question. Make sure the battery is fully charged before trying. You could also turn the flywheel in the wrong direction by hand until you feel some compression, and then try using the electric starter. That would give the starter a bit of time to build up some momentum and speed before it has to tackle the compression stroke.
I don't know the engine you have, but many of the larger engines have a 'compression release' that trips the intake valve open later than normal while cranking to give a bit less air-fuel mixture to compress, making compression that much easier for the starter or pull cord. Once the engine starts to rotate at higher rpm's, the compression release gets out of the way and allows full flow to the intake.
tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts