My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with a chain style drag tooth harrow (e.g., http://www.tractorsupply.com/agriculture-farming-ranching/3-point-equipment/3-point-landscaping-utility-equipment/drag-harrow-6-ft-x-8-ft--2128642) vs. the bar one - FLIP-OVER 5 BAR SPIKE TOOTH HARROW?

I'm trying to level out some of lumpy, rough lawn - my neighbor uses the bar version and has had some luck, but I'm having problems finding a local place that carries them. Wondering if the chain style will be as effective. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
I've used ganged diamond back harrows before and they always clog up with roots and straw. At least with the rigid diamond back, they are not hard to lift up to shake free the clog but the chain type looks like it would be a PITA. Looking at that flip-over model, I'm not sure how much effort it would take to lift it to clear the clog.

Also, with the old diamond back harrows, you can flip them over and drag them upside down to get a finer "finish".

The rotary harrow with the angled teeth look interesting and I wonder how well it would self-clear as each tooth comes around.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I've got one of those chain drags. The back of it tended to flip up too much until I made & attached another piece of pipe to the back, like the one on the front. It works much better now, but if you have a lot of sod it does tend to clog up a little. It's not too bad of a job to clear it though. You can flip it over so that the tines are up for final smoothing out, too.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Good idea to add a stiff back to it. Gives you something to grab to lift and shake out the sod clumps. It would probably help flatten down the high spots too as the chain sections would otherwise tend to follow the contours.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a shame the pricepoint was so high for this unit - FLIP-OVER 5 BAR SPIKE TOOTH HARROW - think it was around $1K total with shipping and tax, and not easy to find. Think I need to make my own or find some old farm equipment.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It's a shame the pricepoint was so high for this unit - FLIP-OVER 5 BAR SPIKE TOOTH HARROW - think it was around $1K total with shipping and tax, and not easy to find. Think I need to make my own or find some old farm equipment.
If you could find an old horse drawn spike tooth harrow they come in two sections of 4' each. They have an adjustment handle to angle the spike from
flat to standing up. I have one it's wired together at a couple of places but still works great. I use both sections behind my 1959 2 cylinder 430 john Deere and one section behind my Wheel Horse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts