My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
1,898 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
We own over 30 antique tractors of all makes. One of the most valuable tools for loosening up large, rusted, nuts and bolts is an acetylene torch along with a 3/4" drive socket set. I often use a piece of pipe around the 3/4" breaker bar to give me more leverage on the big stuff. The torch even helps loosen small bolts and screws that would normally just be snapped off and then you have way more work to repair to do. Anything that not suck bad can be handled with 1/2" or 3/8" sockets or even combination wrenches. I guess which tools you want to start with will depend on what needs fixing and what you are comfortable taking on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Gentlemen, Thank you for the comments. So I figure I will go with 1/2" drive sockets since I already have a 1/2" drive, 20" torque wrench. I also have a 1/2" drive, 24" breaker bar. Cannot easily spend the bucks for 3/4" drive stuff. And...I am still only a novice at mechanical. Up here in northern Maine, there are frequent garage sales and I often see some heavy-duty tools at ridiculously cheap prices. In the event that 1/2" drive is just not doing it for me, I could likely eventually find the 3/4" stuff. I am sure that I have seen good quality 1/2" and 3/4" electric impact wrenches, too. It is just a matter of time until I will find one at a garage sale. It seems that many small farms up here are either scaling down or closing down which means that there are many opportunities to acquire good tools at fire-sale prices. The good thing is that the JD Model 50 appears to be a relatively simple machine to wrench. So with the books I should manage a lot of what it might ever need. I have the service and parts manuals. Have not found the owner's manual yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
YEAAAAAAH, you’ve discovered the best gold mine for inexpensive tools - - - Garage Sales! And always ask, (if the price seems the least high) “would you take $xx?” (always lower $). So many times I’ve obtained tools/parts and pieces for less. If they get huffy, (I’ve only experienced slight annoyance) I would browse some more and probably leave w/o buying anything, unless of coarse there was something I really wanted or needed. I purchased H.F. 1/2” impact sockets which work great, especially for the price. My set had a 15/16” & 1 1/16” size socket, both you will need sooner or later. Most wrench sets do not have either of these size wrenches. So, in your garage sale browsing, if you see either of these size wrenches, snag them unless the price is outrageous. I’ve rebuilt several 20 to 35 HP Ferguson tractors using 1/2” drive sockets using Craftsman AND H.F. tools. 3/4 or 1” pipe works great for a cheater bar, I broke the cheapest H.F. 1/2” breaker bar using a 4’ cheater, bought the more expensive H.F. 1/2” breaker bar and haven’t broken it yet. But, as you have found, Garage Sales #1 source, (and a lot more fun, even w/the wife in tow where I can make embarrassing statements 🤪😁) then H.F. my #2 source. If you take good care of your John’ie, you will more than likely experience few problems, unless the PO neglected it. Nice thing about MTF, everyone here is glad to share their experiences, a few bad ones, but most are very helpful. Enjoy the site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As mentioned above re garage sales being a good place by Oldtgeezer , another place for picking up random tools is the pawn shop. If there is a woman behind the counter, head to her and you might strike a better deal!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The first thing you need is a BIG air compressor! Them "baby toy" things wont handle air tools I have an IR 18.2 cfm 80 gallon tank model and these impact wrenches take 125 psi to do any good! Your best bet is to stick with BIG hand tools and a torch!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The first thing you need is a BIG air compressor! Them "baby toy" things wont handle air tools I have an IR 18.2 cfm 80 gallon tank model and these impact wrenches take 125 psi to do any good! Your best bet is to stick with BIG hand tools and a torch!
Sonny, I know. But I am on somewhat of a tight budget here. I am not a young man anymore and I live on social security and a bit of income from lamb chops. I finally got this tractor after dreaming of having a vintage Deere for years and years. But at this point in my life, I just can't run out and buy all of those really nice tools. And I am no mechanic. Sure, I can dabble a bit and do some repairs on my truck, but at the end of the day I am just a simple retiree who spent thirty years working behind a desk in a big city. While true that the Model 50 will give me a hand here on the farm, it will mostly just plow snow and move round bales of hay. I want to maintain her as best I can with the service and parts manuals, and I have to do that with the minimum bag of tools. Fortunately, she is, at the moment, in fine operational order. I will be happy if I just keep her so!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
An electric impact would be a much cheaper way for him to go.
Ariens93gt20, I am bound to find one eventually at the frequent garage sales around here. In the meantime, I have 1/2" sockets up to 1-1/4", a good torque wrench, a decent breaker bar, heavy hammers, and various other tools from working on my trucks over the years. I also have 12v electrical stuff. Hopefully, what I have so far should hold me for a while. Hopefully.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
More than likely all you are going to need is a general set of medium sizes tools. --Same tools that you would use on cars and trucks. The 50 dont have very big nuts and bolts on it that would require any big tools. ( **** ads on here keep knocking me off when I try to reply)!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey, read your tool list. If you’re like me, the most favorite one is the “BIG 🔨 HAMMER’’. 😆. And I have the scars all over both hands to prove it. But don’t forget the 15/16” & 1 1/16” garage sale search I mentioned previously. And as Sonny said, you probably have most everything you need already for your size tractor.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts