My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few photos of my tool box I thought I would share. Years ago I used to dump my sockets in a drawer or a bucket and spend hours trying to find the right tool to do the repair. These organizers are available from "foam fit tools". Highly recommend them. I have had this set for 3-4 years and it sure helps me stay organized. I never lose tools anymore. A few I made myself with Kiazan foam.

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450809.109388.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450843.036693.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450856.645860.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450878.847368.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450889.247095.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450903.364637.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450915.348929.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450938.466654.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450955.617805.jpg

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1437450974.535323.jpg

·
16,230 Posts
Nice tools and set-ups. :fing32:
A lot of mine lay on the roll-around cart that I use everywhere I'm working...

Darn-I have to get organized!

·
Administrator
14,838 Posts
That is the most organized tool box I've ever seen!

For that you have my respect, sir. Nicely done :howdy:

·
Banned
259 Posts
Love the look of a organised tool chest.
Unfortunately it takes up too much space and I would need 1 or 2 more chests to organise all my tools.

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
My tool boxes are nicely organized... Stacked in the corner over there.

The tools, on the other hand....

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That tool chest is a work of art, for sure. Nice high quality Snap-On chest to boot! :fing32: I love the feel of a Snap-On drawer. The slides are so smooth.

I had honestly debated a system similar to this one. I decided that I have way too many tools to got to that level of precision. I would have to have three or four chests like Pineridge said earlier.

I also looked at and considered those socket organizers that keep each socket on a vertical peg sitting in the drawer. I decided that I would be making forty three trips back to the tool chest, you know, one trip for every time that I incorrectly guessed the nut or bolt size. Admit it, I know there's more than one of us that does that.

I finally decided on the clip strips for my sockets. Grab a rail and go to the project. Here's my socket drawer:

IMG_5411.JPG

I won't hijack the thread with a bunch more photos. I have the rest of them in another thread if anyone is interested. It's located here:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/52-workshops-garage-shed-discussions/659025-finishing-renovating-my-shop-8.html#post8088386

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would love to see other organization ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I've been thinking more about the foam inserts. Isn't something like this required by the FAA for aircraft mechanics? The one home for one tool to make sure nothing is left behind in the engine bay?

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's sick and twisted. :)

And what happens if you get additional tools?

It does look nice, but that sort of stuff is not for me.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the foam inserts are that you usually can't see the size of the socket until you remove it. Although I see that you have your deep sockets laying horizontal so you can see the markings.

I dislike socket strips for the same reason, unless you take the time to position them where they face the same direction, you can't see the size.

Hansen/Harbor Freight socket trays are what I prefer. You can read the sizes easily and select what you want. You can also take the whole tray to the job site.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Certain areas at food plants require this sort of thing so you know you aren't shipping tools out with your product and damaging expensive one of a kind equipment.

I use the magnet trays for the majority of my sockets as it works nicely to get the bunch of them out to where I need them. Just don't drop it on the floor as they will come out then. I have is so you can read the sizing on them. I couldn't do my tools this way as I am always getting more and more. Last minivan project required line wrenches so I bought metric and standard (one coming off was metric but the one going on aftermarket was standard) so I wouldn't have to buy them again. Then I get to try to pull off and I don't have the room for the wrench so I get line wrench crows feet metric only (cost at this time for a power steering hose was getting high). Right there was 3 sets of tools added. I still need to get the standard sizing crows feet line wrench yet.

A garden tractor wheel weight project-found the gearwrench socket set that allows the bolts to go through it to tighten multiple weights-again another tool set to put someplace (peg board).

·
Diesel Nut!
1,358 Posts
I've been thinking more about the foam inserts. Isn't something like this required by the FAA for aircraft mechanics? The one home for one tool to make sure nothing is left behind in the engine bay?
Yep it is. My neighbor is a mechanic for the Lufthansa Teknic Super Starliner airplane project, and he is the guy who walks around for 14 hrs a day making sure people put their tools away!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the foam inserts are that you usually can't see the size of the socket until you remove it. Although I see that you have your deep sockets laying horizontal so you can see the markings.

I dislike socket strips for the same reason, unless you take the time to position them where they face the same direction, you can't see the size.

Hansen/Harbor Freight socket trays are what I prefer. You can read the sizes easily and select what you want. You can also take the whole tray to the job site.

Are you kidding? I love Harbor Freight. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I didn't see these. On my way back tomorrow :)
My sockets are outgrowing the rails I have. These 3 for $10

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Those foam organizers are great but if you need a combination of sockets lisle makes a magnetic try for sockets , they come in 1/4-3/8-1/2 for the difference size drives for your sockets

·
5,480 Posts
Yes that is true for control of tools. I just retired from working at Boeing and that was a daily issue. I was a mechanic there and it was required we preform daily inspections of our tools and 2nd person to witness that all our tools were in the toolbox at the end of the day. Sign out sheets were checked frequently by others so better have the tools organized and in its place. My toolbox was generally the first thing a new supervisor would check because it was the rattiest looking box on the outside but inside was always organized and everything in its place. I only bought one toolbox for my entire career and made it last but once I retired and bought everything home the week before I actually left the company I had to replace it as it was totally wore out.

The first picture is what my ratty old toolbox looked like after I cleaned it all out and prior to selling to a neighbor kid. The 2nd is my new toolbox at home. I had so many tools that this box is setup is totally full and yes everything is organized but I did not use foam but socket organizers from Harbor Freight and wrench organizers. This also has a lot of aircraft tools that will work on tractors and vehicles.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts