My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Excited to become a part of the tractor forum! I recently inherited an LT1000 from a friend who got a brand new J.D. tractor. I bought a snow blade attachment, and after mulching up some last minute leaves took the mower deck off to get ready for winter and put on the snow blade.

This is my first tractor, and the first time I personally have removed the deck. Now that the deck is removed, the tractor won't start (turn the key, absolutely nothing happens). Tried a new battery just in case, and it's filled with gas.

I thought I would ask here first in case there might be something obvious to check, or possibly a common problem/simple fix, before I haul it somewhere to get looked at.

There was a cable loose after I removed the deck, which I'm pretty sure is the attachment clutch (which I thought I was supposed to remove).

Also, while looking around for anything obvious, there seems to be a loose pin on the "gear shifter" not attached to anything.

I'll attach some pic's pf the loose cable, unattached pin, and the mower deck that I removed.

Any advice would be much appreciated! I want to get it up and running again soon.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Theres a neutral safety switch probably is acting up after removing the deck. Im not sure how to rig it so it thinks the deck is in a safe position and not engaged for starting. If it doesnt even attempt to crank thats probaly the culprit. Other than that check all grounds and hot leads for good connection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Keith, thanks for the input, any idea where that might be located? I downloaded the manual and schematic, I'll see if i can find it from there

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Make sure your PTO lever is in the "off" position. Try gently pushing it further "off" while trying the starter. The switch might not be making without the spring tension from the deck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just came across the following in the manual:

IMPORTANT: If an attachment other than
the mower deck Is to be mounted on the
tractor, remove the front links and hook
the clutch spring Into square hole in
frame.

I'll try this tonight after work, maybe just not enough tension on the cable

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I'll finally get a chance tonight to see if I can get the tractor started (stupid work, interfering with me and my tractor! :dunno: LOL). Anyways, I plan to look for any loose electrical connections, and connecting the loose clutch attachment cable somewhere to the frame to add some tension. Any other quickie ideas? I'll post back with results.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So last night, my dad and I figured out the problem. He pulled on the attachment clutch cable and put some tension on it, and the tractor started right up. We attached it near the front in one of the holes there, and we're good to go!

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Shazam! (#4)
Thanks for the update, we like to hear the end of a story!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts