My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery Fiday afternoon of my new 2305. They showed me how to remove bucket or the whole loader if I wanted and went over the controls. We talked about parts of my yard that have not been cut in sometime due to angle and steepness. He said to just start with the mower high and work down. I started being a little nervous and went straight down hill and backed back up the hill. First couple times was great. The third time I thought I would go a little further. I had it in four wheel drive (my lever low right) but the tractor would not move. Wheels did not spin, motor was straining like not enough power and would want to stall if I persisted. I shut mower deck off and gave it more throttle to 2800RPM but still no movement. Hydro sounded as if it was trying but could not budge tractor. I ended up getting my four wheel truck and pulling it back up the hill. After, it drove fine back to garage. Is this just the case that if the grade is to steep it will just sit and not spin tires? Was I just trying to do more than it can? The dealer was already closed today when this happened so please let me know what you think. Bill1031

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Sounds like you were overloading the transmission. Let me ask you something, did you have the transmission in high gear? If so than next time change it to low, that tractor should have no problem with the hill as long as you are in low. Second, when you were trying to get it to move, were you mashing the hydro pedal to the floor? If you were than stop doing that. A hydro transmission isn't like a gas pedal on a car. The less you depress the hydro pedal than the lower the gearing you supplying to put power to the ground. Simply put, next time just have the transmission in low and be easy on the pedal and it should move right out of that area just fine.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
On flat level ground look at your sight gauge on the back of the transaxle. The fluid should be between 1/2 and 3/4 in the sight gauge when cold and your 3PH is in the lowered position. slkpk

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
It sounds like it was in high-range and overloaded. Just shift into low-range and you should be good to go. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. I am not sure if I was in high or not now. I will try it again next weekend.It sort of confused me that it just would not move and the wheels did not spin or slip. If I took my foot off the brake it would roll down hill but giving it rear pedal it just held its ground. Thanks again, Bill1031

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Are you sure you had it in gear? slkpk

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Thanks for the replys. I am not sure if I was in high or not now. I will try it again next weekend.It sort of confused me that it just would not move and the wheels did not spin or slip. If I took my foot off the brake it would roll down hill but giving it rear pedal it just held its ground. Thanks again, Bill1031
Bill,

I'm pretty sure you're going to find that it was in high and a combination of task, slope and rpm overloaded it. Let us know how you make out. :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sounds like you were in high gear to me as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts