My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B1750 HST 4x4 with FEL

I bought it sight unseen from Noonday tractor (dba J&K tractor sales) out of flint, TX.
Part of the reason for doing this was that I got a good vibe from talking with the owner Brandon...seemed very honest and upfront with me.

when I got the tractor I immediately noticed the big main hydraulic pistons (or whatever they are called...I dont have a manual for it yet and am new to tractors) were leaking hyd fluid profusely.

they must have leaked over a gallon of hyd fluid from the trailer to my driveway.

I called brandon and he told me that they werent leaking before and he said that if they had, they would have fixed it as it is a cheap fix.

he said you dont go to the kubota dealer, but instead find a place that sells lots of seals, and then take it in and match it up...then just repack it yourself.

I need to look into this, and once I get a shop manual, I'll know more.

The driver wasnt familiar with these tractors, and killed the engine after unloading it into the street. He then wasnt able to get it started (thank god I live in a cul de sac). We spent several minutes trying to figure out why it wouldnt go.
voltmeter'd the battery and got 12.5, connections looked good...hmmm, the starter looked brand new, and the way they wired it in, made it so the cowl plastic cover thing wouldnt fit flush anymore.
hmmm, so we took a pipe and as i turned the key, he hit the starter a couple of times and then it turned over :praying:

So, I know there is an issue with the starter or starter solenoid also.

I didnt drive it except into the driveway and then turned it off due to all the hyd fluid spilling out...didnt want to run it dry and cause more damage....so cant speak to how well everything works on it.
the FEL did raise and lower fine though.
I did see a sticker on the bush hog brand FEL that said "warning, do not operate the hydraulic system before properly bleeding"...or some such...
wonder if there is a lever or something you need to hit to bleed it every time before use?
cant imagine they would design it like that.

anyways, I have it here now, and am going to start going through everything...
although first order of business is the seals on the FEL hyd pistons...cause I cant drive it with it like that.
I need to get a manual and figure out where I even add the hyd fluid :trink39:...ha ha, told you I know nothing about these.

however, I'm a decent mechanic who is pretty methodical and takes his time, so I'm confident I can fix whatever she throws at me.
lots of pics here....http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u137/mattbatson/tractor/

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: took delivery of my tractor today

Sorry to hear that you got off to a bad start with your new tractor. Ebay is a good source for used shop manuals.
Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sorry to hear that you got off to a bad start with your new tractor. Ebay is a good source for used shop manuals.
Good luck.

hey, thx, I am still upbeat about it...with any older tractor there are going to be problems.
nothing I cant fix

I decided to buy the shop manual from messicks since it is only 80 bucks there (my local kubota dealer wanted 150)
I am still going to support my local kubota dealer by buying things for my tractor that they price similar to what I can find online...
like the operators manual, which they are selling for 17 bucks...and oil filters and such...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

picked up a operators manual today

reading it now...

i need to remove the FEL's main hyd pistons...which come out by removing the two pins, one on each end...then unbolting the two hyd lines going to it.

problem is, the back pin (towards the rear) wont clear the frame of the FEL

so, i need to raise it up a few feet it looks like and the the pin will come out

How the heck do i do that? :banghead3

I'm thinking of starting it up , raising the bucket up and resting it on a 4 ft high fence, then turning it off and removing the pistons?

thoughts?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

Congrats with your tractor and hope everything else goes well with it. Were looking forward to the pics of it. slkpk

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts

Congrats on the new tool. Once you get it right, the job's it'll do will be limitless :D

re. FEL. I can't tell by the pics but is it a quick attach type FEL? Meaning is it designed to be easily removed from the tractor?
Most modern fels on tractors of that size are. The telltale signs would be where the upright FEL arms attach to the frame. If they sit in a sort of carrier or bracket there should be a pin that can be removed. Also, there will be some kind of brackets near the front that will pivot down thay serve to support the weigh of the fel when removed.
If it isn't designed to be easily removed, you may have to unbolt it from the frame inorder to get the rear uprights high enough to get that cylinder pin out.
Try to contact Bush hog and see if you can either get some instructions and or an owners manual for that FEL. They may have pdf's on their site.

In the mean time, and if you can, post a few more pics of the FEL, especially wjhere it attaches to the frame and around the front just behind the bucket.
Dave

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

great info dave, thx
we just bought 10 acres for our retirement homestead just over the appalachians from you there in TN

I looked at it some more, and figured out to unbolt a part of the frame and the pin then cleared.

So, I found a hydraulic shop, and the guy seems pretty experienced, and he said about 120 per piston.
he said part of his cost is he hones the pistons to make certain there are no wear grooves...
this sounds like a good idea to me...
but for that cash, I'm almost thinking just buying new ones would be better...heck, they couldnt be much more expensive than that

or, should I just buy the seals and do it myself sans hone?

think honeing is that important?

·
Registered
843 Posts

If the fellow is experienced as you say I would ask him if new was a better option. I am by no means a hydraulic expert but I have understood that the pistons should be very clean. The more damagend the piston the easier it is for the new seals to get damaged.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

Sounds like a poor dealer to me. Used or not, I would not accept a leaking hose on delivery, but that is just me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

If the fellow is experienced as you say I would ask him if new was a better option. I am by no means a hydraulic expert but I have understood that the pistons should be very clean. The more damagend the piston the easier it is for the new seals to get damaged.

I've been wrenching on stuff for a long time, and from looking at them, they arent in bad shape.
And when I meant new, I meant the whole hyd piston mechanism...not just the piston that slides inside the outer tube...but the whole thing.

of course, they may be way more expensive than I think

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Sounds like a poor dealer to me. Used or not, I would not accept a leaking hose on delivery, but that is just me.

Believe me, when I called the dealer and told him, I was pretty upset.
Mainly because I then had to wonder if there were other things about the tractor that he hadnt told me.
He actually began to make an offer for compensation to repair the leaking seals...
But he said that the kit was only about 30 bucks if I did it myself, so I told him I'd look into it.
He did say that they didnt notice the leaks, but that is b.s. cause as soon as the tractor was started it was really obvious. They had been leaking for while too as evidenced by the accumulation of crud and dried grease in that part of the hyd.
If I called back he might send me some money...not sure.

Of course, now I'm finding that maybe it isnt so easy to replace those seals afterall, and that honeing the piston may be necessary too.

I figured I would look over the tractor this weekend and see if anything else was damaged and then decide to call him back or not.
I am probably just too nice of a guy, and will just eat the cost of the hyd piston repair if nothing else is found.

so far so good, everything else on the tractor seems in decent shape.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

I don't usually comment on peoples purchase,BUT to buy a tractor sight unseen on vibes,isn't real good purchase plan. I hope It all works out...but you have no fallback for him to make anything right.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts

Honeing the cylinder is a good practice, especially on older cylinders where rust and other debris may have set in.
I haven't priced new cylinders but i'll swag that a new one will cost atleast double your quoted rebuild price. Rebuilding cylinders is tried and true and they generally will last as long a new, if done right. It sounds like your rebuilder will do it right.
Given a choice, I'd opt for new over rebuilt IF the prices are close. A savings of 1/2 or more would have me going w/rebuilt.
Good luck & let us know how it's going.
Dave

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I don't usually comment on peoples purchase,BUT to buy a tractor sight unseen on vibes,isn't real good purchase plan. I hope It all works out...but you have no fallback for him to make anything right.
actually there is some recourse if needed.
I could spread the word about the company on every forum related to tractors on the internet....make complaints on angies list or BBB, etc..
Essentially hurt the reputation of the company.

And I'm certain the owner would not like for this to happen, and would probably be willing to help me out with anything I decided to call him on.

I may still ask for some compensation for the hyd. pistons, I havent decided yet.

However, the rest of the tractor seems to be in pretty decent shape.
I've run it, driven it, worked the pto, etc...and all seems to be working fine.

Of course, I'm new to tractors and have a lot to learn, but from what I've seen, the only problem is those hyd pistons.

also, we got it for a very good price.
I looked all over the nation, and couldnt find anything that would touch this.

it is a b1750 with FEL and 860hrs for 4500 dollars.

So, even with a 400 dollar bill for the hyd pistons, I'm still over a grand under anything else that I could find comparable on the internet. :trink39:

This, in combination with my impression from talking with the guy, lead me to buy sight unseen.

so, thx for the criticism, but as it turns out, we probably made a pretty good decision.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Honeing the cylinder is a good practice, especially on older cylinders where rust and other debris may have set in.
I haven't priced new cylinders but i'll swag that a new one will cost atleast double your quoted rebuild price. Rebuilding cylinders is tried and true and they generally will last as long a new, if done right. It sounds like your rebuilder will do it right.
Given a choice, I'd opt for new over rebuilt IF the prices are close. A savings of 1/2 or more would have me going w/rebuilt.
Good luck & let us know how it's going.
Dave
thx, I'll post up once i find out what new ones cost.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ok, so I went ahead and just got them rebuilt by the local hyd. shop.

Was 250 bucks total...so it did hurt a little, but at least that is a part of the tractor that I shouldnt have to worry about for a while, :praying:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Found some hidden damage today...

I have been running the tractor around the yard, but havent used it for work until today.
I took it to the side yard to remove some bushes and started digging. AFter a few minutes of digging, the engine changed note and died. The starter wouldnt turn it over, but the solenoid was clicking so it wanted to...

so take a look at the starter.

I pull off all the side body panels to expose the starter and I notice the bottom bolt for the starter is missing, and appears to be sheared off.

then, I start looking back further and notice an increasing gap between the engine and bellhousing...as you go up towards the center top the gap increases. It is really hard to see, as it is buried between the fuel tank and engine...

tried to take some pics, but with the fuel tank in place, it is hard to get a good shot...next step is to remove fuel tank

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...rent=007-1.jpg

also, the bellhousing/engine mount bolt is sheared off where I'm pointing in the above pic...the threaded portion is still screwed in, but the shank of the bolt and bolt head are missing.

I have no idea what would have caused all this, but something bad must have happened is all I can figure.
I did call the dealer and he said he would send me 500 bucks for my trouble...which he didnt have to do. It wont cover the damages, but buying used is always a risk.
I also believe him when he said he had no idea...cause it wasnt obvious to me after owning it for three weeks. It always started fine, hyd's all worked, drove around fine, etc...

After I get the tank off I'll have a better idea, as everything is really buried back there, but it looks like either a replacement gear case is needed or I'll have to take it in to a fabrication shop to get them to work some magic.

while I'm in there I'll do the clutch and some other things.
I'll post up with my progress, as I plan to do all the work myself. I have a cherry picker to lift the engine out, lots of tools, and plenty of experience as a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Found some hidden damage today...

I have been running the tractor around the yard, but havent used it for work until today.
I took it to the side yard to remove some bushes and started digging. AFter a few minutes of digging, the engine changed note and died. The starter wouldnt turn it over, but the solenoid was clicking so it wanted to...

so take a look at the starter.

I pull off all the side body panels to expose the starter and I notice the bottom bolt for the starter is missing, and appears to be sheared off.

then, I start looking back further and notice an increasing gap between the engine and bellhousing...as you go up towards the center top the gap increases. It is really hard to see, as it is buried between the fuel tank and engine...

tried to take some pics, but with the fuel tank in place, it is hard to get a good shot...next step is to remove fuel tank

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...rent=007-1.jpg

also, the bellhousing/engine mount bolt is sheared off where I'm pointing in the above pic...the threaded portion is still screwed in, but the shank of the bolt and bolt head are missing.

I have no idea what would have caused all this, but something bad must have happened is all I can figure.
I did call the dealer and he said he would send me 500 bucks for my trouble...which he didnt have to do. It wont cover the damages, but buying used is always a risk.
I also believe him when he said he had no idea...cause it wasnt obvious to me after owning it for three weeks. It always started fine, hyd's all worked, drove around fine, etc...

After I get the tank off I'll have a better idea, as everything is really buried back there, but it looks like either a replacement gear case is needed or I'll have to take it in to a fabrication shop to get them to work some magic.

while I'm in there I'll do the clutch and some other things.
I'll post up with my progress, as I plan to do all the work myself. I have a cherry picker to lift the engine out, lots of tools, and plenty of experience as a mechanic.
There's a guy on orangetractortalk with the same problem- you should compare notes with him...:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

There's a guy on orangetractortalk with the same problem- you should compare notes with him...:D
:crybaby:

yeah, I bet I know that guy

spent an hour today trying to remove the dash and wiring harness labeling

still need to do something with the steering column as it wont allow the dash to slide over...along with remove the throttle control...then the tank will come right off as it is already unbolted

then I'll finally be able too see clearly what is going on down there

from reading the shop manual, it looks like i need to remove the front axle with frame...once that is separated, the engine and clip then get pulled out...then you can remove the tranny gear case

while I'm in there I'll probably do clutch, pressure plate, etc...along with those universal driveshaft joints...and anything else I think might wear out that require doing all of this again :14_6_5:

1 - 20 of 127 Posts