My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...new homeowner and new to the forums here. I am in CT and am wondering if it is too late to put down the Scotts with Halts crabgrass preventer? I haven't mowed yet but will need to soon. Should I mow before I put down the fertilizer? Thanks, any advice is appreciated!

·
Old Fart
122 Posts
You should still be ok if you hurry. A good rule of thumb is to put it down when the Forsythia bushes start blooming.
I would mow first so you don't blow it all away with the mower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...what about seeding with that product? I have a few small dirt patches I wanted to seed but I've read that you can't if you use the Scotts with halts..is that true?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Thanks...what about seeding with that product? I have a few small dirt patches I wanted to seed but I've read that you can't if you use the Scotts with halts..is that true?
That's correct. The "Halts" part of the fertilizer prevents seed germination.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts

Sent from the MTF Free App
Pretty much any crab grass preventer wont let grass seed germinate. You will either have to avoid those areas or wait till fall to replant, which actually is better. I have tried planting seed in spring, only to have it either eaten by birds (it even had straw over it), to getting washed away by storms to not coming up at all. When I started planting in early fall, I had much better results.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Scotts makes a starter fertilizer with crap grass preventer if you want to seed. I don't know how well it works, but I tied it on an area of my lawns that was badly in need of reseeding. I did not do the entire yard with it, because I am not sure how good it could be if it lest grass seed grow. Oh, and it is 34 bucks for the 5,000 sf bag at Home depot.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/starter-fertilizer-plus-crabgrass-preventer/prod100048/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts