My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 70+ years, my porch flooring needs several boards replaced. Since it sits atop a full basement which needs to remain dry, I plan on replacing the entire floor soon.

The original floor it has in place currently is a tongue and groove floor, I believe it is yellow pine (or a similar wood), and is painted gray on the top surface. Other than peeling paint, most of the floor has held up well other than a 4 to 5 foot wide section where the stairs run up to the porch, as this area is open to more of the elements than the rest of the porch. (see attached photo for a visual)

Tongue and groove flooring instead of spaced decking is important because my basement is in the area immediately beneath and have plans soon to add living space into my basement. I have considered going with yellow pine again, but I see mahogany is also available. It appears pressure treated wood is not an option with tongue and groove flooring, so the only other options are various brands of composite flooring and PVC tongue and groove products.

After doing a search, I see Aeratis makes a PVC tongue and groove flooring product, and I have found composite products from CorrectPorch and AZEK. I see Tendura was a popular product a few years ago, but after searching the internet I have noticed there have been numerous issues with it. Because the others are relatively new, I am not sure the other products I mentioned would fair better or not after a few more years of history.

Given that the application needs to keep the area below dry, does anyone have thoughts on products (wood, vinyl, composite) or brands and/or have previous experiences?

Attachments

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts
I agree keep the yellow pine..If its painted it can't breath..painting only makes it hold moisture..wich causes rot..:trink40:

·
Registered
187 Posts
After 70+ years, my porch flooring needs several boards replaced. Since it sits atop a full basement which needs to remain dry, I plan on replacing the entire floor soon.

The original floor it has in place currently is a tongue and groove floor, I believe it is yellow pine (or a similar wood), and is painted gray on the top surface. Other than peeling paint, most of the floor has held up well other than a 4 to 5 foot wide section where the stairs run up to the porch, as this area is open to more of the elements than the rest of the porch. (see attached photo for a visual)

Tongue and groove flooring instead of spaced decking is important because my basement is in the area immediately beneath and have plans soon to add living space into my basement. I have considered going with yellow pine again, but I see mahogany is also available. It appears pressure treated wood is not an option with tongue and groove flooring, so the only other options are various brands of composite flooring and PVC tongue and groove products.

After doing a search, I see Aeratis makes a PVC tongue and groove flooring product, and I have found composite products from CorrectPorch and AZEK. I see Tendura was a popular product a few years ago, but after searching the internet I have noticed there have been numerous issues with it. Because the others are relatively new, I am not sure the other products I mentioned would fair better or not after a few more years of history.

Given that the application needs to keep the area below dry, does anyone have thoughts on products (wood, vinyl, composite) or brands and/or have previous experiences?
I think you gave your own answer "after 70 years " thats a pretty long time for anything. You can use pine again but they recommend that you prime the tongue and groves before installation and keep a good coat of oil paint on the flooring and it should last another 70 years.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
175 Posts
Clear vertical grain fir. It's not as likely to warp as the pine, and will last just as long. The old porch floors around here were built with CVG fir.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts