My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don’t like driving in tomato stakes or fumbling with tomato cages, here is an alternative to staking and caging. You start by spacing tomato plants 18-24” appart in the row then put a steak between every second plant. The twine comes in 4 pound boxes that you can clip to your belt. The pvc stick is a 12”-20” piece of ½” pvc pipe used as an extension of your arm and as a tool to weave the twine around the stakes, the twine comes out of the box thru your pvc pipe and is tied to the end row stake then you walk down the row reeling out twine and looping it around each stake until you come to the end of the row then walk up the other side doing the same until you get back to the start, the plants stand suspended between the twine, you dont ever tie the plants just the stakes and as the plants get taller you go around again up to four times on determinate plants...

·
Banned
109 Posts
uhh....How's that again?

Agree

Placing a steak between every second plant will get a little expensive. Don’t you think? :)

Sorry I couldn’t help it and know I shouldn't have done it. I know it is embarrassing enough to have a spelling error slip by without a smart aleck Georgia ******* make a smart aleck remark.

Seriously, I’m having a little trouble picturing how you get the twine tight enough to hold the tomatoes, applying it to the stakes by the method you explain.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:D That way keeps the critters from eating my tomatoes.

Let me explain how I go down a row. You tie the string to the first stake :D in the row, you go to the right of the first tomato plant and to the left of the second, now you go back to the right of the second stake and then to the left of the next tomato plant, and so on until you get to the end of the row. Then you wrap the end stake a few times and return back up the row going to the opposite side of the plants and stakes with your string.

Does that make any sense :bump9:

·
Banned
109 Posts
Argee said:
................Does that make any sense
Maybe. Guess I'm picturing more plants, say thirty. Your method would be a back saver if the twine could be made tight enough.

You didn’t say where you got the system you are talking about.

I use baling twine to "string beans". Get it from my John Deere Dealer.

For tomatoes I use wire cages I made for some old net fence wire. For extra safety put a metal T post every fourth or fifth plant and then run a wire between them to tie the cages to in order to assure they don’t fall over.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn’t say where you got the system you are talking about.
I originally learned it from other tomato growers. We used to grow veggies for market. I would plant 250 - 300 tomato plants which made cages economically unfeasable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts