My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
my 1st LB was a 3060!
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5239C - 2% paint left on it, plastic badly faded, wheels about to fall off: $50

CS21ZPM - with bag(rotten), brace and mulch plates, not bad looking 50% paint left on it: $125

·
my 1st LB was a 3060!
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya it's too bad about the 5239C as I could tell it was an oldy just from lookin at it, I wanted it LBAD!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
CS21ZPM - with bag(rotten), brace and mulch plates, not bad looking 50% paint left on it: $125
CS21ZPM???? Are you sure there was a C at the front of that model number? Or is the C for Canadian?

·
my 1st LB was a 3060!
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep Orangedotfever, a C at the front. Data PLate said made in Peterborough, Ontario.... I don't know where you guys' US Model LB's are made

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
yep Orangedotfever, a C at the front. Data PLate said made in Peterborough, Ontario.... I don't know where you guys' US Model LB's are made
The C must be for the Canadian models. You guys got some cool models up there that we didn't. :fing32:

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
It is interesting to see the models from Canada. I never knew till the last couple weeks that LB's were made up there as well. I guess it was cheaper to build them closer to where they were being sold than to ship USA models across the boarder? Definately some unique models I've seen you post already.

As for passing on some, that's not a bad thing. Personally I will only pick one up if it's in pretty good condition. I'm not THAT good of a restorer nor do I have access to many of the parts that would be needed to restore some of these that have been sitting out behind someones barn for 40 years in the weeds. I certinaly commend those that can though! Everything I've got is either in running condition and needs some TLC, was running when 'parked' and now needs cleaned out good, or has already been restored to some degree. That and the couple I have, my 6211 and 8480 suburban that were in excellent original condition, though one has to pay dearly for those creampuff models!

·
my 1st LB was a 3060!
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
loud and clear Just Plain Al, loud and clear!!

As for passing on some, that's not a bad thing. Personally I will only pick one up if it's in pretty good condition.
same here LawnboyKS, unless its a bricktop!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well of course everyone is looking for the best deal that they can find. There are people who use them, collect them, fix them, beat them, etc. Obviously to some people who are selling them at higher prices, know what they can get for them that they are worth something to collectors. Then there are people who actually use them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
some people buy and sell them to make money,some to collect and look at, and also to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
not sure which is more fun to me, collect, or mechanically restore&sell.
i enjoy both& it's a confidence booster to my abilities to see something i repaired working properly

·
Registered
247 Posts
That 5239C may have a mag deck. I've found around here that the paint peels off them, but at the same time the magnesium doesn't seem to be bothered as much by moisture compared to aluminum. So the mag decks are usually quite clean even without paint.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It is interesting to see the models from Canada. I never knew till the last couple weeks that LB's were made up there as well. I guess it was cheaper to build them closer to where they were being sold than to ship USA models across the boarder? Definately some unique models I've seen you post already. ...
They were built in Peterborough, Ontario by OMC (or Outboard, Marine & Manufacturing Co., of Canada, Ltd. as it was called back them) since at least the early to mid-1950's. That's the same plant that also built the boat motors. I have some literature for the Lawn-Cruiser Rotary Power Mower with Iron Horse engine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
That 5239C may have a mag deck. I've found around here that the paint peels off them, but at the same time the magnesium doesn't seem to be bothered as much by moisture compared to aluminum. So the mag decks are usually quite clean even without paint.
'68 is correct. The magnesium decks don't flake like the aluminum decks do. Another sign of magnesium is the underside. The magnesium deck models will be almost shiny underneath. Much like a old pewter tankard looks.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

·
my 1st LB was a 3060!
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey Mitch, looks like it has a steel deck and I'm not too keen on the large rear wheels, probably worth it for the motor but... she's a pass

·
Registered
289 Posts
If it werent for canada being 2000 miles away or so... id have bought it. I like the big back wheels. Looked like a nice mower. Id buy it for $40.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts