My Tractor Forum banner

Today's Did Not Happen Buying Experience

7K views 74 replies 34 participants last post by  Tom White 
#1 ·
WELL....I guess living in a small area has a few disadvantages which made my shopping for a lawn rider day not what I was expecting. All of you have been very helpful, so I will not take up too much of your time. To recap my day today, here it is. As most of you know, I was going to test out the Simplicity Regent in various sizes, the John Deere X300 and LA-Series, and the Snapper Rear Engine Riders.

This was my experience.

Simplicity...The Simplicity place about two miles from my home was checked off my list because the guy is a jerk who runs it. So, I went to the other Simplicity place about 18 miles away and can you believe they are closed on Saturday and Sunday. Are you kidding me? Closed both days in the late Spring. Obviously, I could not look, feel or try any Simplicity.

Snapper...The Snapper place about 3 miles from my house was open till noon today. I got there and it was busy. Would you believe they told me they are a Snapper Distributor and order for people most of the tractors they want. They only had ONE Lawn Tractor in the whole place and it was a LT-200 model from last year. And, they had ONE Rear Engine Rider chained up in the front parking lot. I sat on it, but that is all I could do because they were busy. What a crummy experience at this place. No other Snapper dealers around here unless I want to drive about 45 miles, which I really do not want to do.

John Deere....I went here last, because as I mentioned last week, I had stopped at this John Deere store last week and the sales person basically told me not to buy the LA series because they were junk, even though I told him I only had about 1/4 acre of flat grass to mow. He told me to buy the X300. In any event, when I got there just after 12-noon, they were also closed. They close at noon on Saturday. Again, I cannot believe they would close so early. So, I sat on every LA series tractor they had on their lot and also sat on the X300. Obviously, I could not tell that much by just sitting on them except those John Deere seats are so darn comfortable, I did not want to get off. Plus, plenty of leg room.

So....that was my lousy day. It appears that I will have to take some time off from work to try out the Simplicity at the store 18-miles away. The Snapper place is a joke because how can I order something when they don't stock 90% of the tractors and rear engine riders, that I feel I should try first. Even though the John Deere guy tried to sell me an X300 the first time, at least they are also close to my home, have very good service from what I've been told and have tons of tractors in stock.

Always something to make you have to re-think so many things over again.

Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
,,,I had stopped at this John Deere store last week and the sales person basically told me not to buy the LA series because they were junk, even though I told him I only had about 1/4 acre of flat grass to mow.
I'm beginning to sense a conspiricy here ("Not you Hydro, really!?") At the JD dealer Thursday night I heard the manager tell my buddy who was shopping for a possible rider, in essence, "These are not really that substantial and won't last very long."

What this looks like to me is that independent JD dealers really don't want to mess with these low end JD riders of lower profit margin much. They seem willing to let a sale go if it isn't an X300 or above. He had also said that his price was only $10 more than big box store and it didn't really matter where or who sold the tractor that he would be the one serviceing it anyway.

Looks like a "set up" for BBS's to sell the little JD's which frees up the JD dealer for inventory space on larger LT/GTs. BUT, his showroom contained at least 10 L variety mowers... so why was he so reluctant to push a sale...? I just don't understand any of the retail business anymore after this and the "bout" with Sears Friday night...:D

#29 ·
That thing about being closed Saturday and Sunday? I think it is a hint you should take a whole day off. A day of rest. No shopping, no heavy lifting. I have not convinced my family to do that, but I'm trying.

...I heard the manager tell my buddy who was shopping for a possible rider, in essence, "These are not really that substantial and won't last very long."
I do not understand how it will not last long. How long does he expect - 20 years of constant operation?

How the heck could a Deere be built worse than our weenie little MTD riding mower from Wally-World that is 9 years old, and still in great shape? No breakage, no repairs

It has done very well on our just-about-an-acre, running through potholes dug by dogs, munching up tree limbs and dog toys, stalling out on dirt humps, hauling (repeatedly) a cart overloaded with concrete . I keep it out of the rain, hose it down and change the oil, and use synthetic oil, that's all.

My son drove that little lawn tractor up a tree and flipped it over (he was OK). You know how tree roots curve smoothly down and away? Well, he sorta was not paying attention and slowly chugged straight towards the tree, and the root guided him up the bark. He was scared and hung onto the wheel and throttle with white knuckles until he was pointed at the sky, at which point it toppled over backwards and he leaped to the side.

He's fine, the tractor's fine.:bannana:

#5 ·
Yeah, I don't like the Saturday hours, with them closing at noon either, but I guess even they need some time off of work for family, etc'. Like the Snapper dealer, we have a New Holland dealer that does the same thing, selling by order only...says they hardly sell any...wonder why??? I would have bought New Holland had I been able to test a couple of different models out to decide which one. As for JD, many badged-low end JD's, are actually made by MTD. I do not look at, or know which ones, but would guess the JD dealers don't want their reputation based on those models, preferring to sell genuine quality JD products to their customers. From talking with various dealers, it appears manufacturers, expect dealerships to carry a certain number of tractors so that would explain why a dealer might carry an amount of tractors even though they might not want to sell that model. ??? Not sure how the above mentioned Snapper and New Holland dealer get away with what they do, unless they are just listed as a part and service establishment with the mother company.

Good luck in finding what you need.

#6 ·
The dealers in my area are also open until noon on Saturdays. The former L & LA series are made by Deere and not MTD. They are Deere's answer to the entry level and small lot owners market. Why not sell in that market as it's a very big market and money to be made there. As with any entry level machine you should get around 500 hours with very few problems if it taken care of properly. The X300 is built heavier and if you took the time you should have been able to tell the difference in the 2 machines if you looked it over carefully. I would be more inclined to go with the X300 over the LA as I tend to hang on to things longer than most people do when it comes cars, trucks tractors etc. Either way you go you pay for it either up front or down the road in repairs. Which is the best way to go for you? :goodl: slkpk

#7 ·
Hi Everyone...Thanks again for the help and discussion. I guess I can understand some of the dealers needing some time off, I just thought with such a short selling season, at least where I live, they would want to be open on Saturday or at least until mid afternoon.

SLKPK...Being a novice at this, I did notice a few things that were different on the John Deere LA series compared to the X300, but when I originally stopped in the first time, I never even had a chance to look over or learn much about the LA series because the sales person came out of the building so fast and made sure he deflected me right over to the X300. Then he started with his bashing of he LA models even though I told him my yard was just about 1/4 acre or not even, along with being flat.

On another thread where titled buying choice now down to 2...I mentioned how it did not bother me to be in the $3000 price range even though it was overkill, until at the last second my wife stuck her 2-cents into the equation and started about 'Needs and Wants". So, after they fruitful discussion, I had to lower my spending limit to a maximum of about $2200. That is why I am now down to the LA Series or the Snapper Rear Engine Riders.

Many have said those Rear Engine Riders would be perfect for my small flat service lawn and those Snapper RER last forever. If that is true, I might consider that, if I can ever find a Snapper place to see and test one versus just ordering one.

The only problem with the Snapper RER is that some dealers in certain parts of the country show the RER's with a Honda engine, while where I live and on the Snapper website, it shows them with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Another dealer says Kawasacki also is on some of the RER's. I am totally confused by this because I cannot find out any information as to why some places have different engines. Many have said the Honda engine is better.

Any thoughts on the LA Series versus the Snapper RER?

Dave

#8 ·
I may not be too popular on this but why not go to home depot or Lowe's and check out the LA series there?I make it a point to do my homework on what i want to buy before i go to a store.The only difference between the dealer and the box store is knowledge on the item you want to buy from a sales person.All JD tractor's at the box stores are inspected and checked out by a local JD dealer.If you do need warranty work done on it!the work will be done by the JD dealer and not the box store.Also the box store hours open are much more than at a dealer and you can save 10% or more.

#9 ·
Hello StanleyJohn....I thought about going into Lowe's because all John Deere Tractors are 10% off, which means an LA-145 that is $2099 at Home Depot or the John Deer dealer, is $1889 at Lowe's.

Again, being new to all of this, I thought that if I ever purchased one of these at a big box store and needed service, the John Deere dealer might be annoyed that I did not get it from him. Then, when I need service, they might delay when they can get the work done, among other things.

This happens a lot in he auto business when someone buys a car 50 miles away from their local dealer because the price is a bit better, then brings the car to the local dealer for service.

I just wasn't comfortable in my mind about the dealer possibly thinking....hey this guy buys his JD at Lowe's, and now calls me for service.

Dave

#10 ·
I hear what you say!I would do a search on the pros and cons of buying a jd at the box store,ive seen mixed opinions on this!check out for yourself.I bought the extended warrenty on mine and it just expired without any need to use it.PS!ill start a thread on this subject and lets see what happens.

#11 ·
You also have to consider that the JD dealer who inspects the machines at the big box stores are paid to do so. It's not a service they provide for free!

The local dealer who does the service on the machines in my store (HD) provides the store associates with JD/Home Depot hats, with the dealer's name on them.

It's not all for nothing.

Another interesting twist, the Manager of the local JD dealer used to work in my store, and was once a Store Manager at another Home Depot in my district.

#12 ·
I love the way all of the independent dealers are closed 3/4 of the weekend, then complain how the big box stores are driving them out of business. I wouldn't take time off of work to shop for a tractor; that just means I'd have to take time off of work every time it needed servicing! Maybe the independents make their money selling to commercial users?

#27 ·
As one of those idiots that needs some off time with the family away from the business I'd have to say you are probably not a customer I'd want to have either. You may be a great guy but your thinking don't make sense since I guarrantee you will take a lot more work off getting that box store tractor serviced than one you'll buy from independent dealer.

let's see ... Their guy MAY show up some time between 8am and 6 pm unless he gets running behind - then you'll have to reschedule and take another day off. Then he probably won't have any parts he needs so there goes another day not to mention usually another 7-10 days ....... Then , oh my, I guess that wasn't the problem after all - I'll have to order more parts - see you in another 7-10 days ......

I make no appoligies for needing to take a day off and spend time with my family. I put in 14 - 18 hr. days this time of year and trust me if I didn't get some time off you wouldn't want to deal with me anyhow. I don't have 100s of employees that go sell lumber , plumbing , tools , appliances or whatever if no one happens to come in to buy a lawn mower today. It does get me that most will take time to go do their "homework" at the local dealer because the stock boy at Lowe's has no idea what he's selling but yet turn right around and go back to Lowe's and buy it to save $20.00 My hours are very flexible this time of year as , yes, it is "that time of year" but if I have to be open 7 days to stay in business than someone else can have it ! It aint work the headaches !!!

#13 ·
Adman,

I've been reading your various threads over the last couple of weeks and I think if I were you, considering your lawn size, I would go to Walmart or sears and get the most inexpensive rider they have ($1000 to $1400) or even a good self propelled walk behind ($300 or so ) and then use the money save for something else.

With that small of lawn the think that's going to be the hardest on your machine will be sitting in garage doing nothing. There is no reason a cheap MTD or Poulan can't last you 20 years on that size lawn with proper care.

As for repairs if needed there are a lot of independent small engine shops.

#14 ·
And....buy that comfortable JD seat and put it on the new mower.

If you called a dealer about a certain mower, and if he didn't have it on site for a demo, he should be able to locate one close by. My JD dealer did that for me. Even offered to bring it to his shop for the demo.

And my tractor/mower guy is open Sats, but is of one other day during the week.

#15 ·
I agree with modaone. 1/4 acre figures to about 10,890 square feet. I don't think it would take long to mow with even a small 22" push mower, so even an upgraded self propelled would be much cheaper, would last a long time with proper care, and take up less space than a rider.

Another option...I've heard of people with a small yard buying the cheapest from WallyWorld, about $100, use it one season, then when the grass stops growing sell it in a yard sale, 'nearly new', for $75. They never even have to change the oil or blade, and have a new mower each summer.

#16 ·
I agree w/ the folks saying go cheaper for the size. I must've missed his acreage until he reposted again stating it over for us. I did say early on that a nice Honda self propelled (or Toro now that I think about it) would probably be just fine for that lot. When I was considering a smaller property in the borough I would've bought a Toro Super Recycler - the lot was the same size as his.

HOWEVER, if the man wants a tractor who are we to tell the fella no? :bannana:

If he HAS to have one, I still stand by the Snapper 28 so long as he drives it and finds the ride, turning, reverse, etc. acceptable. He can get a 28RER for less then 1700 out the door.

#17 · (Edited)
If he wants a tractor just to have a tractor that's a different story, that's why I have 3 for my 1/2 acre lot.

#18 ·
Hi Again All...I totally understand your thought about the possibly of not getting a tractor because of my 1/4 acre flat lawn surface. Unfortunetly, I have a very bad back and after about 10-minutes of walking or standing still in one spot, many problems develop, so, I have to get a lawn tractor.

Yes, it does bother me with the hours of some dealers and lack of product to test out, but at least I have narrowed down my choice to the Snapper Rear Engine Rider or JD LA-Series.

Now, I just have to decide where I am comfortable purchasing it. I have the two choices for the JD. The dealer, who I do not care for or the Big Blue store. Even though, the dealer that I do not like does the service for the JD's sold at the Blue Store. (I should say that I do not like the one salsperson that has been speaking to me. From what I've heard, the service is very good, so I should not blame the entire dealership on this one sales person).

if I want the Snapper, that will just be more of a challenge since the Snapper dealer near my home orders most of the riders and doesn't stock them. I might have to drive a ways to another place to test one out, then if I like it, order from the snapper guy near me.

By the way JoPopsy...The 28 RER at my Snapper place is on sale for $1549, if you can believe that!!

#19 ·
$1549 is a good deal. Remember, the JD is also going to have a Briggs in it, the only diff being the JD will be a twin and the Snapper will be a single banger. You can't beat that price - try to test drive one.

#21 ·
For your lawn care needs I would purchase the tractor that is most comfortable for my back. A flat 1/4 acre yard can be handled by most Craftsman LT or YT (overkill) mowers for about $ 1,000.00 - $ 1,500.00 out the door. Buy what makes you happy and is comfortable and your done.

:beatdeadh :beatdeadh :beatdeadh YIKES!

#22 ·
Thanks Woodsy...I am sure I could get away with a Craftsman or even one of those MTD or Troy-Built machines for the amount of flat lawn that I have which again is about 1/4 acre. Could be just a tad less. Plus, if I am lucky, I will put a maximum of 24 hours a year on the darn thing. Just think...it will take me 10-years just to get 240 hours on it.

However, I am at a point now, where even though all of the information I have learned from all of you has been enjoyable and educational, I really do not want to check out any more tractors.

I think I will stick to either getting a JD LA series, or as JOPOPSY suggested, a tough, reliable, forever lasting, Snapper Rear Engine Rider. I will say that if I had not learned so much from many of you, I probably would have purchased a Troy-Built at the Big Blue Store. The red paint on those Troy Builts is really red and plays tricks on your mind where you say to yourself "That's The One I Want" Even the Husqvarna's looked nice, but I think I will stick the two listed above.

Thanks again for the help.

Dave

#24 ·
If you've had a bad experience at that blue store in your area then that's too bad. But I work for one of the 1500+ big blue stores. If you talk to the right person, you will find someone very knowledgable about the products. It's a shame I get such a bad rep when people walk in and before giving me a chance say "no thanks, I want someone who knows what they're talking about" just because I look young. I think you'd be very happy going with an LA Series John Deere, and at 10% off from Lowes, it's a deal. Keep this in mind, the profit margin on the LA Series machines at Lowes... is almost NOTHING. I'm almost certain that 10% off Lowes is offering puts it either just above or just below the stores cost of the machine. But don't count out the Husqvarna's as well. I would say they compare very well to the LA Series. If the 145 was one you were considering, at least give the YTH2348 a look. Either one would be a wonderful machine for your small property. You're correct, you could even get a Troy Bilt, and it would last, but it still isn't overall at the same level of quality as even the LA Series, and they wont give you as good a quality of cut.

#23 ·
Congrats on your new LA(biased).....I went to buy the Bolens or a Troy-Bilt...ended up with my "low-end" Deere and am pleased,.. just wish I had more land to justify a better machine.:trink15:

#25 ·
The "LA" series Deeres are great for a small lawn like yours as is the Snapper. And even you choose not buy at the box store, there is no reason not to try one out there. They are open more hours and have the models you want available

#26 ·
Adman, you're going to love what I am about to tell you. You said you wanted to test Simplicity, JD and Snapper RER. How about a Snapper Lawn Tractor. Check out www.mowersdirect.com. They have a Snapper LT, 23 hp Big Strappin V Twin, 46 in. cut for CHEAP delivered to your door for an extra $50.00 for the lift gate service. No taxes or delivery, except the lift gate fee. I don't know if you are aware that Snapper and Simplicity are both owned by Briggs & Stratton, as I understand. You can look, see and feel these mowers at your local Sears for a lot more of your hard earned $$. While on their web site, check out their reviews. You'll have your mower in a couple of days.

On the JD LA vs. X300 deal, all JD products purchased from ad ealer has a "no questions asked" return policy for the first 30 days. So regardless of your dealer's reluctance to sell you the LA series, he has no choice but to honore the 30 day return policy.

As for the Snapper RER, although tough as nails, it doesn't have the Tuff Torq Hydrostatic transmission that the Snapper LT does. Once you own a hydrstatic mower you'll never go back to anything else.

If you look at the $$, the Snapper LT from Mowers Direct seems to be your best value $ for $. Should last you many, many years. Hope this helps.

#28 ·
Lowes and Home Depot are open 7 days a week and about 16 hours a day except maybe only 10 or 12 hours on Sunday.They have the LA series and since your schedule does not match the dealers why not just support the Big Box store.If you had a acerage it would be different.But for 1/4 acre there the perfect solution for your needs.If you would get stuck with a defective tractor.Take it back for an exchange dought that would happen.Not that much service you would need for it on 1/4 acre.You will put maybe 20 hours a year on it.

#31 ·
Another consideration when buying a tractor is the status of your long term plans - are you planning on upgrading to a larger home/yard? If your planning on staying there for some time then you can get by on any low end machine just fine.

However, when comparing the LA series to the X300 - $2000+ vs $3000+, something to keep in mind is value - at $3000 your paying 30% more to get a machine that will out live you and that you can pass on to the next generation should you choose to.Then again I know for a lot of us money is tight right now.

As far as weekend hours go - businesses use to have a few extra employees around so that they could take turns rotating weekend hours for the overall health of the business. However, due to belt tightening there is no such thing as extra employees anymore, everyone's running a skeleton crew anymore. I think its common in all businesses these days.

#42 · (Edited)
However, when comparing the LA series to the X300 - $2000+ vs $3000+, something to keep in mind is value - at $3000 your paying 30% more to get a machine that will out live you and that you can pass on to the next generation should you choose to.Then again I know for a lot of us money is tight right now.
Not to disagree here, but I disagree. To say a JD will outlive you is really false advertising, unless your pushing 80 right now. Being a recent JD X300 owner myself, I'm hoping to get 10 years out of my JD, but to say it will outlive you is completely bogus. Even the higher quality JD 318's aren't going to outlive very many of us I'd say.

As far as JD hours, my local dealership extended there hours to 2pm on Saturday. He did however deliever my new tractor 7pm one night a week later, so the banker hours at the dealership isn't something that extends to them servicing there customers. He even took the time to show me how to use it and it had a half tank of gas. I didn't put a drop of gas in it until I had 3 hours on the tractor. When I was in the store looking at tractors, the saleman didn't try to steer me away from the cheaper models, but perhaps he realized I wasn't interested in them anyway, since I was looking at the X series and ignored the lower end models entirely.

#35 ·
mine closes at 12 but if you call the sales dept before then usually one of them will wait around for you. when i bought my L130 my salesman was at the office until almsot 2PM on Sat with me. at that time i had no relationship with them what so ever as a customer. i had been there installing radios in the AG equipment, but never dealt with teh sales dept at all.

#33 ·
Hello RaleighFirewall and Everyone....I did see the great price on Mowers Direct .Com for that Snapper 23/46 for $1599 plus no tax and free shipping except for the $50 lift gate service.

I was told however, that this model was just a plan L100 tractor. Since I cannot even change oil and am a total idiot when it comes to fixing or servicing anything, I wasn't sure if it were a good idea to order this tractor from out of state, then if I need service, get to the back of the line at the Snapper dealer because I did not buy it from him.

I still think I am going to stick with choosing the JD LA series, or Snapper Rear Engine Rider, even though the deal you described is very tempting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.