My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Professor of makin stuff
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well went to garage sales today and i found this for 10 bucks

its a 1/2 hp motor compressor works up to 60 psi and tank is sealed and has a 50 3/8 hose dont think i did too bad on it

and then i picked up to grease guns for two bucks a pipe wrench for 2 bucks excellent condition and a die grinder for 10 and a 10 gallon shop vac for 7 and two funnels for a quarter wasnt a bad day i think also picked up some misc nails as in gutter nails work great for hanging things on and some 3/8 inch concrete studs which will come in handy on the new step railing when i get the wood from the land lord so today was a preety good day

·
Professor of makin stuff
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yea gonna use it as a air pig for the big compressor at 130 psi has a shut off valve on the outlet perfect to use for this but i pressed it up to 110 and it sprung a leak on the seam from rust i assume so time to get the welder wired in and do some tac welding

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I agree that you got some good finds. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
oh yea gonna use it as a air pig for the big compressor at 130 psi has a shut off valve on the outlet perfect to use for this but i pressed it up to 110 and it sprung a leak on the seam from rust i assume so time to get the welder wired in and do some tac welding
Wait, are you saying you're going to weld up a rusted seam on the air tank?

Please, don't!

Salvage the rest of it and trash the air tank. Your life may depend on it. I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I made my living as a weldor and I suggest you just get one of those carry tanks and connect your compressor to it.Your most likely going to find pinholes all over the inner bottom of that tank.I'm normally the first guy that would tell you to fix something but this is a BOMB if can very well kill/injure you or anyone in the area IF it blows and I'm betting that there are a lot more places it's ready to open up.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
You can't even get a hair cut for 10 bucks anymore

Great find Nate :fing32::fing32:
Shoot... I will do it for $10.00, but I only buzz cut! :fing32:

But to get back on topic... the tank is shot. One pin hole is just the deepest of all the pitting inside the tank, there are hundred's more just not quite there yet. Tanks rust from the inside, once they start to leak they just keep popping out. The portable air tank is a very good suggestion to use.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
All very nice finds Nate, but these guys are righ about that tank. It's a bomb waiting to go off. :Stop: Please replace it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Wait, are you saying you're going to weld up a rusted seam on the air tank?

Please, don't!

Salvage the rest of it and trash the air tank. Your life may depend on it. I'm not kidding.
I agree, even a pin hole means the inside of the tank is shot. I've seen them blown up and I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Put an add on your local CL. Trust me it is much easier to find a tank that needs a motor than it is to find a replacement motor for an air compressor. There are hundreds of tanks on wheels out there just looking for a new lease on life.
I just picked up a real good 20 gallon upright for $2 last week. I plan to tie it into my existing system for more storage capacity.

·
Professor of makin stuff
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well u guys aint got to worry i always try to be as carful as possible in my crazy ideas so i did some work with the chippin hammer and found these needless to say its in the scrap pile now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts