My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sight is still improving. Went the full day w/out glasses. yes, even on the computer. The 31st is my next follow-up. Hopefully, I'll get an appointment for the other eye! I'm particularly excited to look through the doc's lenses and see what my vision is both far & near without any correction and also with the astigmatism corrected. Later, guys.
Gene

·
Registered
470 Posts
With my last eye exam (June) I was informed I too now needed this procedure; as glasses have always worked I elected to postpone this procedure. However I believe things have now accelerated as I now experience periods with "void" areas. I'll postpone it as long as I can but I presume its inevitable for me too.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With my last eye exam (June) I was informed I too now needed this procedure; as glasses have always worked I elected to postpone this procedure. However I believe things have now accelerated as I now experience periods with "void" areas. I'll postpone it as long as I can but I presume its inevitable for me too.
I would say, put any fears away and get it done! The cataract only gets larger and will be more and more difficult to pull through a very small hole. I have another follow-up check-up next Tuesday. Really looking forward to getting the other eye done!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am getting ready to have my eyes done. When I first was checked my optometrist said mime weren't "ripe" and should be left for later.
Well later is now and it's time to "get-er-done!"
As a previous poster said you may have a deterioration of your sight in the future. It's called posterior capsular opacification (PCO). A few people get it, most don't.
With PCO, the posterior lens capsule becomes cloudy several months or even years after surgery. It's easily fixable and is done right in the office.
The procedure to fix a PCO is called a YAG laser capsulotomy. The doctor uses a laser to cut a cross pattern in the posterior (rear) lens capsule. After being cut the capsule tissue retracts and you eyesight is restored. The YAG capsulotomy takes only a few minutes and typically never needs repeating.
Enjoy your new found vision!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I too am getting ready to have my eyes done. When I first was checked my optometrist said mime weren't "ripe" and should be left for later.
Well later is now and it's time to "get-er-done!"
As a previous poster said you may have a deterioration of your sight in the future. It's called posterior capsular opacification (PCO). A few people get it, most don't.
With PCO, the posterior lens capsule becomes cloudy several months or even years after surgery. It's easily fixable and is done right in the office.
The procedure to fix a PCO is called a YAG laser capsulotomy. The doctor uses a laser to cut a cross pattern in the posterior (rear) lens capsule. After being cut the capsule tissue retracts and you eyesight is restored. The YAG capsulotomy takes only a few minutes and typically never needs repeating.
Enjoy your new found vision!
My mother had that clouding back in the '80's. She went to a place that was ahead of it's time and got the laser treatment..........quick & easy!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Today was the second surgery. My appointment was at 7:30 AM and with the rule of NO liquids 4 hours before surgery, I got up about 2AM to give myself enough time to get caffeined up! That gave me 2 1/2 hours sleep last night. **** these addictions!!! I had such interesting views during the first surgery, that I asked the Doc to give me a blow by blow of what he was doing as I layed and watched. I believe that during the last surgery, I had dozed off and I woke up with a jerk that he let me know about, so he informed the anesthetist that it would be alright to go without the IV drugs during this surgery if I wanted to. As I was being prepared in the operating room, she came over to me and asked if I wanted to go without the IV. I said sure, why not? Being totally alert during this procedure was enlightening, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're skittish with pain. I noticed both my arms and legs tightened up considerably a few times. What I saw during the operation was totally different than what I saw last time, but interesting for sure. Recovery time was quicker without the drugs and this time, I have total recall of what transpired. However, the first surgery was certainly a more pleasant experience.

The cataract was about the size of an M&M so he cut it into four pieces to take out through the small incision. I believe my vision is better quicker than the last time. The drops that continue now for a month give me a sharp pain momentarily when I put them in, but it subsides quickly. I looks like I'm in a smoke-filled room, but already, my eyes feel more "balanced" together.......if that makes sense. The astigmatism in this eye is worse than the first eye, but at one foot from this screen, I can read the words!

Tomorrow is my first follow-up appointment. No doubt it will be a good one!
Regards All

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
That's real good, mowergene!
My second removal was a bit difficult as the doctor began when the anesthetic didn't fully take hold and felt the incision. When I jerked some, he stopped and waited another few minutes.
It's been a bit over a year since and I had the first opportunity to drive at night since then about a month ago. Completely different experience! Before the oncoming lights would almost completely blind me and this time there were zero problems.Even those new fangled LED white headlights didn't faze me a bit.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's real good, mowergene!
My second removal was a bit difficult as the doctor began when the anesthetic didn't fully take hold and felt the incision. When I jerked some, he stopped and waited another few minutes.
It's been a bit over a year since and I had the first opportunity to drive at night since then about a month ago. Completely different experience! Before the oncoming lights would almost completely blind me and this time there were zero problems.Even those new fangled LED white headlights didn't faze me a bit.
That's great! They've come a long way in cataract removal in recent years. I didn't have to remove clothes, shoes, rings or even my watch for the surgery! Now that it's been over a dozen hours since the procedure, I'm seeing more improvement!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had my first follow-up appointment this morning. All is progressing well but the swelling has caused the pressure in this eye to go up to 34. Under 20 is ideal. The other eye which was done a month ago has pressure of 15. He put in a drop for this pressure and prescribed three days of drops for it. Really, all is well. The pressure in the first eye had gone up to 25 the day after surgery and required no drops.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Next follow-up appointment is this Thursday. If I need to read REALLY fine print, I have to grab my glasses, but for everyday vision, my sight is better without them. Can't wait for time to pass to be done with all the drops. I don't know how I'll know when both eyes have completely settled down, but I really want to wait until that happens before having a new prescription for the astigmatism. I'd hate to get that done and have further settling take place! When reading online about that timing, I've read that it can take a couple of months. Have any of you done it too soon? I'm really curious.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
This is a relatively comforting thread as my ophthalmologist said my cataracts would be ripe for surgery this year. I am a little scared of someone cutting on my baby blues though...😥

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This is a relatively comforting thread as my ophthalmologist said my cataracts would be ripe for surgery this year. I am a little scared of someone cutting on my baby blues though...😥
The very worst part is dealing with all the eyedrops! There are three different ones. They start @ four times/day, two days before the surgery and continue for a week after surgery. The next week, one medication is dropped and the two remaining ones are applied three times/day. The next week, one medication twice/day. The next week, the same medication once/day.
I wanted to get mine out of the way before "mowing season" begins so I don't have dust, dirt, and flying grass in my face!
I feel like you do.......I would never get contacts because I'd have to put my finger in my eye!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Very much like you, the drops were a PITA. It is very difficult to relax the avoidance of anything approaching the eye. It's now been a bit over a year since both eyes had the cataracts removed and couldn't be more happy with the results. That is actually a good thing because the VA is my health provider. They did authorize an outside provider to do the surgery but followup visits are not authorized.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Very much like you, the drops were a PITA. It is very difficult to relax the avoidance of anything approaching the eye. It's now been a bit over a year since both eyes had the cataracts removed and couldn't be more happy with the results. That is actually a good thing because the VA is my health provider. They did authorize an outside provider to do the surgery but followup visits are not authorized.
OUCH! Those follow-ups are terribly important. It's stories like this that insures that I NEVER go to the VA. And I'm a Vietnam VET!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong, not all VA's are questionable, some are great places. It really just depends on where in the country you are. Mainly it is due to my financial situation, roughly just above poverty level, that I have the VA that I do. If I could afford to be in a better VA system, I would. It's also a bit of where I live as there isn't a VA hospital complex within 120 miles and rely on their outpatient clinics.
Still, the cataract surgery is quite the painless quick method to vastly improve one's eyesight. Anyone that has them should get them removed ASAP and the quality of life improves so much.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Oh, don't get me wrong, not all VA's are questionable, some are great places. It really just depends on where in the country you are. Mainly it is due to my financial situation, roughly just above poverty level, that I have the VA that I do. If I could afford to be in a better VA system, I would. It's also a bit of where I live as there isn't a VA hospital complex within 120 miles and rely on their outpatient clinics.
Still, the cataract surgery is quite the painless quick method to vastly improve one's eyesight. Anyone that has them should get them removed ASAP and the quality of life improves so much.
You're so right.........nothing quite like being able to see!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I had my first follow-up appointment this morning. All is progressing well but the swelling has caused the pressure in this eye to go up to 34. Under 20 is ideal. The other eye which was done a month ago has pressure of 15. He put in a drop for this pressure and prescribed three days of drops for it. Really, all is well. The pressure in the first eye had gone up to 25 the day after surgery and required no drops.
I had my second follow-up appointment today. The healing in both eyes is going well. The eye pressure that had been 34 the day after surgery, with the help of the 3 days of drops, is 13 today....yay! The other eye is holding steady with the pressure, too. I've now got about two and a half weeks of drops left to do and got an appointment to get a new prescription in a month.

My old glasses really aren't very old (about a year) and I like their size, shape and color. They're stainless steel and a bit costly. So, I think I'll check with the vision center at Walmart and see what the cost is to refit those frames with a new prescription. I used Zenni, out of China, last time, but the cost to send the frames back there plus the time it would take doesn't seem to be the way to go. I'm going to check around locally, too.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The vision close up seems to come and go depending on what I'm doing. I just use the OTC magnifying glasses if I have to see the small print. I'm 28-36 inches from the computer monitor and generally don't need the OTC glasses, but then the monitor is a 32 inch curved widescreen. I don't have a cellphone, so I can't say about that. But the distant vision is top notch without any aids.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts