My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not in any pain but my eyesight in my dominant right eye has gone from OK to this really sucks! I'm seeing halos, things are blurry, and it's like the room is filled with smoke or a heavy fog. Wish me luck in the weeks ahead. I was looking forward to getting the other eye down soon so both eyes would have time to heal before mowing season starts here in Tennessee but if this first one doen't clear up, I won't be having the other one done. No point in being blind in two eyes, right?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Had one done about a year ago. Give it some time it should get better. If it doesn't they didn't do something right which is probably a stretch saying that. This is a real common procedure today so I wouldn't fear.
BTW... I probably said the same thing you did when I had it done last year.

·
2,869 Posts
I have not had that done ....but from what I hear you should be happy wth it in a few days...getting old does suck...but much better than not getting old...hoping for the best for you

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hey there mowergene! You didn't mention which eye was done today. Regardless, you should have the eye that was done covered with gauze for roughly 24 hours. The eye drops help after the gauze pad is removed.
I had both eyes done last year due to the cataracts I've had since my 20's. Eyesight was slowly getting worse every year. Now my distant vision is something like 20/10 although my near vision does require reading glasses.

·
Registered
307 Posts
It gets better with time. Keep up with the eye drops and remember to where sun glasses outside for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,624 Posts
Good Luck to you !!

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,941 Posts
I had my right eye done. Keep the eye patched for a day and for a couple nights. Especially at night. Hard to control what you do when you sleep. I think I patched mine with gauze and paper tape for about 5 nights just to be sure. Pain was never much after the first night. Tylenol took care of it.

Kind of liked the halo effect at first. Was an odd thing trying to see out of it for a couple days.
Only took 3 or 4 days to clear up. Could see good out that eye with out my glasses.
I was amazed at how bright everything was after I had my right eye done. Looking forward to getting the other one done.

Wishing you luck.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Good for you guys to provide your experiences. Take encouragement from the others who have gone through it, and keep your Doc advised of what is going on. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
We had a cataract festival in our house a couple years ago. My left...her right...my right...her left.

Different insurance so different doctors.

We both had immediately clear vision after 24 hours with an eye patch. Drops before and after.

Best thing we ever did. And she didn't make any remarks about how I looked better before!!

Get it done as soon as possible !

Tom

·
Rich
384 Posts
I had already lost vision in my right eye years ago due to 2 blood clots. I was nervous to have Cadaric on my only working eye. My wife had both here eyes done a year or two before this and had absolutely no problems. The doctor here in Chattanooga is super and a 10 minute surgery and I was good to go. If you are in the Chattanooga area I can give you the doctor's name.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,709 Posts
I had both my eyes done in late 2011-2012,a month apart...
The surgery was "nothing"--my fears were unjustified,all they did was put an IV in my hand 10 minutes prior to the surgery,and I was still fully awake,then they used some drops in my eye,and did the lens removal and inserted the artificial prescription lens...it took less than 10 minutes..

I got a ride to the place and on my way home,I was reading road signs 1/8 of a mile away ,clear as a bell,I was shocked...had a little pain for a couple days,but the prednisone drops took care of it,I stayed indoors a few days and laid around till I felt it was OK to expose my eyes to brighter light..

They did the other eye a month later and everything went smoothly,and I ended up with 20/15 vision in one eye,and 20/20 in the other--I was now farsighted,after being nearsighted all my life and had to wear glasses 24/7--now I only needed reading glasses for up close ,and it took some getting used to,to not have to wear glasses constantly..(and I do NOT miss them a bit!)...
They used two different strength lenses,so one eye favors "up close" vision,while the other focuses on distant objects..that takes some adjusting to get used too..

I had near perfect vision for the next 3 years,then I noticed my eyes were getting cloudy again..
My optometrist that did the surgery said it was "gas bubbles under the lenses",that he could fix right in his office,by zapping each eye with a laser--I had spots floating around in my eyes for a few days,but after that my vision was even better than after the surgery..best I'd had my whole life..

Unfortunately about a year later,I woke up one morning with a large "floater" in my right eye,and my optometrist said "unfortunately this is "normal aging",and there's not much they can do about it--the left eye has since developed the same issue and is making reading or doing any "up close" work difficult,and driving a bit hazardous,as you see "something" pass by your line of vision,and at times you think its another car or a person walking in front of you..overall my vision is still good,my last eye exam I passed with flying colors,and other than the "floaters",I'm doing better than I'd have been if I had not had the cataracts removed--I was "legally blind" by the time I had them removed..

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've had both eyes done with some problems during one of the surgeries. I was to get a second multifocal lens but when the doctor was removing the old lens, they break it into little pieces and then vacuum them out, he punctured the sac that holds the lens. Many of the little pieces of the old lens then went into the eye fluid inside of my eye. Needless to say he panicked and started trying to get the old lens out and used a lot of water across my eye to help wash the pieces away. By using so much water it began to wash away the deadener that he used on my eye to do the operation. I began to feel the instruments in my eye and complained. So he just stopped. Because of that fiasco, I ended up having to get a fixed lens in that eye. I also had to have another operation to remove the tiny particles in that eye. The other eye went very well with no issues. I have better vision now than before and can read without glasses. And with one multi and one fixed lens, I have the best of both worlds. Stereoscopic vision both far and near. Mine is a rare occurrence and should not be considered a normal risk. If you need it do it! It is the most performed surgery in the world!

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
If the first one never gets any better, eventually you'll still be blind in both eyes as the cataract in the other one progresses. In any case, good luck and hopes for a speedy recovery.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,941 Posts
Hope Mowergene checks in today or tomorrow and lets us know how he is doing.

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today, I had my first follow-up with the surgeon appointment. This appointment was 24 hours after the surgery. I have slight swelling (normal) with an eye pressure of 25 (they do nothing unless it's greater than 30). The pupil is still dilated some (which is normal) but should subside by tomorrow. When the pupil gets back to normal size, vision will be greatly improved. At this point, I can read print a foot or so from that eye without glasses and I have a lens set for distant vision........I'm impressed! I've had VERY LITTLE discomfort throughout this situation and have one more follow-up appointment on the 31st of this month. At that time, we'll schedule a date for the other eye. I'm looking forward to getting it done. I'd hoped to get the other eye done a little sooner, but it'll be easier to do all the eyedrops (four times a day) with only one eye involved. Many thanks for all the good wishes and tales!

·
Make Better Mowers
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The above reply I wrote yesterday afternoon but apparently failed to post until this morning! Sorry.
This morning, it's a little better yet. The dilation is diminishing but not quite all the way yet.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,941 Posts
I had forgotten about all the drops. My wife had to keep reminding me to go put them in. Eyes felt OK, but the drops were to help the healing process.

Glad to hear it is all turning out well.

I really want to get my left eye done. But have been having surgery on my eye lids over the past 4 months. Right eye stitches keep tearing. Then they have to repair that. Just had another stitch put in this past Wed.
Have to wait 3 more months at least. Had I known the eye lid surgery would delay the cataract surgery, I think I would have postponed it.

Cataract surgery has really made a difference in how well I can see with the one eye that was done. Everything is so much brighter and clearer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The drops are anti-biotics to prevent infection....very important. Keep the schedule your doctor puts you on.
Getting this surgery is, IMO, the best thing since sliced bread. My lenses are so I have distant vision. Got several pairs of cheap reading glasses from Shopko. Have them strategically located around the house.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts