My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the late '90's,Troybilt dealership fire resulted in 'fire' sale of salvagable units and I payed 200$ for a 8 hp. horse model. Never took time to get at it until this past winter when I totally dismantled it on the bench. motor is a B&S, block is good,oil is even clear but everything on exterior is melted.Tires and rims are burned or weatherchecked, about 60% of the paint is burned away.Everything else metal is in need of sandblasting and prime & paint. I'm thinking of restoring to near factory(without deadman switch) but that plan involves acquiring all needed engine pieces individually, at increased expense. Or, do I replace with up to date new engine, which has it's advantages, or locate same model with bad crank/block and use said pieces on my block. Would appreciate any of your perspectives on this venture.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I think I would try to find a k131 8horse If possible. one tough engine.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,461 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Back in the late '90's,Troybilt dealership fire resulted in 'fire' sale of salvagable units and I payed 200$ for a 8 hp. horse model. Never took time to get at it until this past winter when I totally dismantled it on the bench. motor is a B&S, block is good,oil is even clear but everything on exterior is melted.Tires and rims are burned or weatherchecked, about 60% of the paint is burned away.Everything else metal is in need of sandblasting and prime & paint. I'm thinking of restoring to near factory(without deadman switch) but that plan involves acquiring all needed engine pieces individually, at increased expense. Or, do I replace with up to date new engine, which has it's advantages, or locate same model with bad crank/block and use said pieces on my block. Would appreciate any of your perspectives on this venture.
Don't bank on the block being good. If if got hot enough to melt the parts on the outside the the block was hot enough to do damage to the seals and gaskets. it might have been hot enought to warp the block.

By the sound of things it is going to cost you a perty penny to put it back together. I picked up a 1999 Horse with 8 hp briggs engine for $600. It is like it came out of the box. It still has 98 percent of the paint on the tines and it has all its stikers like new and a front bumber. This is the second one I have. There was a string around the tines. I think they did one or two rows with a string and never used it again. Fire can do a lot more damage than meets the eye. I would be careful how much I put into it. The gaskets and seals in the tiller might be fried as well. Heat will make them melt, dry out and crack. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took photos before disassembly which would give you fellow's a better perspective but can't fathom upload instructions, but after reading posts I think another engine would be the way to go, plus tiller would be up and running sooner.Did I read somewhere that Tecumseh is no longer marketing small engines? I would love a Kohler Magnum with a cast iron block but mucho coino! Though a Troybilt is deserving of the best.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,461 Posts
The bonus in trying to repower one of these is that Troy-Bilt used many different engines over the years, so you have several options, unlike some machines that can't be easily repowered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good things come with time,craigslist ad for tiller with shot bearing in tranny, has same model engine as mine,good tires/rims & levers with knobs,engine started & ran, for $150, and only 35 miles away! I smiled all the way home!:bannana:

·
16,695 Posts
All good things come with time,craigslist ad for tiller with shot bearing in tranny, has same model engine as mine,good tires/rims & levers with knobs,engine started & ran, for $150, and only 35 miles away! I smiled all the way home!:bannana:

Sounds like you were in right place/right time!!

:goodl: on your project--take plenty of p[ictures for refernce as you go along w/ it.....

·
Citizen of Earth
15,461 Posts
Yep, you done good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts