My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all members! I have a problem getting this gasoline tractor started. It would turn over and then stop. I would hit the starter a few times and the starter would spin again, then stop. I took the starter off and took it apart, but did not see anything wrong with the brushes. Cleaned the oil and grime out of it and put is back together and back on the tractor. Still same problem. When I press the starter button I can hear a clicking sound in the starter solenoid but nothing else happens. Any ideas? Puzzled:tango_face_sad:

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
battery weak? maybe, if it's a 12V system, hook up booster cables to your car and try starting it.
could also be poor power and/or ground connections, or the wires could be bad, or coming loose from the connectors.

·
Super Moderator
26,881 Posts
Take the starter to Autozone of one of those places and have it tested. Sometimes starters develop what my father called a "flat spot" on them and they won't engage when in that position.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
What gauge are your battery cables..?? If it is still 6 volt, and cables are automotive type 4, or 6 gauge, you need to get some at least 1/0 gauge I ordered a new set for my Farmall Super C here a while back here: https://www.batterycablesusa.com/battery-cables.html Very nice cables, and very affordable. And shipping was also very affordable, and quick.

If the battery, starter, and cable connections aren't the problem, and you have the smaller cables on it, try a set of the 1/0 cables from this place. You'll not believe the difference it makes.

6 volt systems require a lot more amperage to turn a starter, than a 12 volt system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou all for your suggestions. I will look more closely at them in the coming days and let you all know if the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you close the starter switch and hold it over while having someone gently tap on the starter with a brass hammer. If it fires I'd think the motor has a spot on the rotor contact ring or windings maybe. Solenoids can usually be bypassed by an old screwdriver or metal object if you suspect it is weak. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts