My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my old STX 38 this spring along with the blower and I bought an x320. Well, time is flying buy and winter is right around the corner. I did not buy a blower for the x320, because after years of swapping the blower on and off the STX, I don't want to deal with all the headaches anymore. I thought I had decided to get a walk behind snow blower. Then last night I am trolling Craigs and I see this:
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/1905172280.html
I really like this set-up, but I can't help thinking the price is a little high. The other thing is how much will it actually be used. I would most likely keep it as a dedicated blower and probably sell the blade and maybe the deck. I will also be dealing with keeping the battery fresh and so on. I am looking at a John Deere 1028 Walk behind snow blower which retails for around $1300.00. I guess after riding I am spoiled, plus its a fun toy to have around. Space is not really a concern. Just looking for others to chime in with their thoughts.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Get a push blade for the x320 and also get the walk-behind. That way you can push the smaller amounts and use the walk-behind for the big dumps.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a push blade for the x320 and also get the walk-behind. That way you can push the smaller amounts and use the walk-behind for the big dumps.
I looked at the blades and they seem pretty cheaply made. No spring collapse on them.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I did not even think about that.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I'd go for the 110 and work on lowering the price. slkpk

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
You're right $1600 seems real high I mean it does come with the cab and weights but you could easily find a good running 110 or 112 and buy a blower for it for much less than that. The cab might be a little harder to find. He doesn't mention if it has a spring assist on it either which might be something you would want.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I'd go for the 110 and work on lowering the price. slkpk
If I could get it for a good price, I'd consider it and then sell off the snow thrower. It's a single stage and I don't think an old tired 8HP engine would do it justice. I'd keep the blade though.

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right $1600 seems real high I mean it does come with the cab and weights but you could easily find a good running 110 or 112 and buy a blower for it for much less than that. The cab might be a little harder to find. He doesn't mention if it has a spring assist on it either which might be something you would want.
If you were to make an offer, what would u offer??

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I could get it for a good price, I'd consider it and then sell off the snow thrower. It's a single stage and I don't think an old tired 8HP engine would do it justice. I'd keep the blade though.
Define "justice" though. My old Gilson ('65) is an 8HP Kohler K181 and has a single stage. When I'm not dealing with a belt issue, it blows fine. I have a driveway that is three cars wide at the garage and single wide where it meets the road 175' away, tapering slowly.

Of course, now with the 318, I can set that aside as a restoration finally. That price is high. I have $1250 into my 318 including an expensive new hood. Another $400 for a blower and the weights from the Gilson, and I'm ready for snow. Get him down. Alot. Then sell off what you won't use. $1200 cash will go a long way when you pull in with your trailer ready to leave. Negotiations take a cool head and the ability to walk away with a smile if you don't get it your way.

--MIKE--

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Define "justice" though. My old Gilson ('65) is an 8HP Kohler K181 and has a single stage. When I'm not dealing with a belt issue, it blows fine. I have a driveway that is three cars wide at the garage and single wide where it meets the road 175' away, tapering slowly.
My two-stage walk-behind with a 10 HP labours. A 3 car wide area it has to move twice.

·
Super Moderator
35,878 Posts
The difference between my 110 (8 hp) and my 212 (12 hp) snowblowing was like night and day! Where the 110 would labor the 212 would walk through the snow and not change pitch. Where I couldn't use the 110 (slush) the 212 would go without clogging the chute most of the time! I've got a 318 for this year with the snowblower so I can't wait to see what it'll do!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Well it does have the headlight panel too so that's a plus :fing32: It also has the old one notch wheel weights that are more "collectible" I guess. I would figure it like this:

Wheel weights - $150
Blower - $150
Blade - $150 maybe
Tractor - $400-600 depending on conditon
Cab - ?? I do not know

I'd say show him $1000 cash and see what he says. Anywhere up to $1200 and you are not doing terrible. Like you said you can sell the stuff you do not want like the deck and blade. You could just swap the battery between your tractors so it stays fresh. I would not be afraid of only 8HP but it does make a good bargining chip. The other thing to think about is it should be a 1973 by his serial so if it is 37 years old. What shape are the engine and transmission in?

Also like I said the lift assist is very nice unless you plan on building up your left arm. Figure that would cost you about $100 if you need to get it. Like I said before you could find a SF 110/112 and a blower for much less unless you want this particular setup for some reason. I myself sold a 110 blower for $125 last year the deals are out there yet until that white stuff starts flying :fing02:

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My old stx had a single stage blower that worked decent, but a real pain in the arse when the belt breaks. I was thinking 1200 max. I think his price is more of a winter, tons of snow on the ground price, not an end of summer price. Plus the blade looks like it was welded back together after it broke. I got some engine shots from him and it looks pretty clean. I might wait another week or two and see if he will come down at all. I have his number, but I have not gone to see it at all. Like was already said, it is a 37 year old engine on a 37 year old tractor, but hay its still around and its a Deere :thThumbsU

1 - 14 of 14 Posts