My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and one of my friends was talking about pulling mowers today. I got to thinking about it and wondered if my Massey Ferguson 8 would be any count at pulling if it had weights and the right tires. Since im semi-restoring it im going to get new tires (hopefully tractor tread) for the back and maybe tri ribs for the front. What do you guys think, would it do any good with the right tires and weights? i wouldnt expect to do very good, just fun pull it at the 'Run What Ya Brung' at the fairs and tractor shows we go to. And i dont want to hurt it lol.

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Its small..its mainly a lawn mower..id suggest not throwing to much money at it as a puller...find something bigger, sears horse or a cub...

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Sears all the way man, especially Customs. They are lighter and the trans are good. I have seen a 6m (6hp) Lock out with a 10xl (10hp). Neither won they just dug holes...

·
Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
the full size suburbans are used more for pulling, they are easier had, and are bigger, easier to work with..the customs are fine but harder to build weight brackets onto...i pulled both and did fine...but both pulled a little different I thought...

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
i am no expert in pulling , never even tryed it before , but i would think that tractor itself would hold up fine , the transaxle is a heavy duty cast cased peerless 3 speed which i believe would hold up fine , and the frame , front axle beam , and steering are all pretty stout , so i would say if you are just looking to have fun and see what it can do , then go a head and try it , i would think the worse thing that could happen is youll slip or break a belt or youll just spin out

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
Now this MF did pretty good! I know the kid had fun pulling with us, and thats all that matters! No break down, BTW. Its even repowerd!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tractor Joe, do you know what size that is?

Ive about talked myself out of the idea of ever pulling it, because i do not want to hurt the tranny or damage anything. Im still goin to get tractor tires for it.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
I'am not an MF guy, but I'd say its a MF 7. It is repowerd with one of those 99 dollar engines from Harbor Freight, which ran good this day, BTW. I woulden't give up on pulling all togeather, though. I like the IH Cadets, Sears, MF, and ok, a few JDs too!:greendr: I'am not a puller, but I love to hook up to the sled and go for it anyways!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Theres still a chance i might fun pull it, especially if my friends talk me into it lol.
I need to make some wheel weights to have for it. I have small front tires that i can put on it laying around in the junk yard.

·
Farm Show
5,386 Posts
I plan to only pull the 72 maybe 2-3 times next year,..just to hang out and have some fun. I've had luck finding parts from the cub cadet pullers. You won't want to be stuck watching, thats for sure!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts