My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys,

Just got done spreading and leveling 120 yards of topsoil in my front and side yards. I also planted two Autumn Blaze Maple tress. Now, the area is pretty much ready for starter fertilizer, seed and straw.

The problem with deciding to seed now or wait is Earl. I've been watching the weather news the last couple of days and it looks like Hurricane Earl is going to head up the eastern seaboard. Depending on the track the eastern part of CT may get hit, either directly or indirectly. It looks like no matter what, on Friday we are in for some wet and winding conditions.... pretty much a nasty weather day.

I'm worried about the amount of rainfall damaging the freshly laid dirt (rivulets) and the seed/straw being washed away. If that does happen, then I would have to go out and redo the area.. hence destroying the freshly laid fertilizer/seed/straw.

Do you think I should wait until Saturday? I mean.. the dirt is not going anywhere (I hope, lol). Also, after Friday it looks like the temps should be more in the 70-80 range, instead of this 90+ heat we have been having the last few days. Wouldn't it be better to wait till after the storm passes to attack this project??

What would you do?

Wasper

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,746 Posts
I would definitely wait. A little rain is good for new seed but heavy rain will wash it away, even with straw. There is no rush, right? Your best seeding time in Ct. is probably late Sept. to early Oct. although it will probably grow very nicely anytime in Sept. :)

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
I would definitely wait. A little rain is good for new seed but heavy rain will wash it away, even with straw. There is no rush, right? Your best seeding time in Ct. is probably late Sept. to early Oct. although it will probably grow very nicely anytime in Sept. :)
:ditto:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Definitely wait. I had a small area of a renovation I did last year wash away. It was preventable so it was just a waste of my time & money.

·
Packer Backer
1,021 Posts
I'd wait. Best time to plant grass seed is the Fall anyway so don't be in too much of a hurry quite yet. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts