My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this Craftsman front wheel self propelled mower from a guy for free. He said it was scrap because the engine had seized (6HP B&S). I brought it home drained the oil and stood it with the spark plug up. I sprayed penetrating oil in it and waited 10 minutes. Then I repeated this again and it broke free. I filled it with oil and it fired right up! So I wanted to get your guys opinion on a couple things before I resell it.

1) Should I strip and paint it? If i do can I buy new decals? (some of the surface rust is under decals.)
2) It seems to run fast at low throttle speed but I can still crank it even higher
3) It is LOUD is there an easy way to tell if the muffler is bad.

Thank You for your opinions.
Larry

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Throttle needs to be adjusted. Check the governor too.

Looks like a cat sprayed it. Get it running and sell it. No use spending $$ on that one.

List for $60 and go down to $50-$40. The only cost is your labor, and move on to other projects!

When do they stop cutting the grass for the season in Washington?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We'll still be cutting for a couple months. I think I'll list it to invest in my other projects. I'll check the governor,
Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
347 Posts
We'll still be cutting for a couple months. I think I'll list it to invest in my other projects. I'll check the governor,
Thanks
Larry
Then, your market is still open. CL it with haste!

Do you still have the bag? Good starter mower with front wheel drive.

Good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, i got the bag and it's already listed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Transplant work

I lucked out and got another free mower with a bad motor. The deck was much better so I swapped motors. I got it listed for $80 on CL and 2 people coming out tomorrow. I went ahead and put new belt, spark plug and air filter and sharpened blade. Runs great now. $16 invested. Here is the result.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SOLD! 80 bucks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts