My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
steelhrd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker asked me how i like my L series Deere. I told him it was a great light duty mower but not capable of much more. He seem to think at the price point of these mowers he should be able to do light tasks like pulling small hedges out. I told him he was getting into gt territory. He disagreed what do you guys think. I told him i knew where the experts where and i would ask them.

·
Super Moderator
17,826 Posts
I wouldn't really Try a GT for pulling out hedges even. I have done it before with a GT in the past. But it better to dig the hedges out by hand or use a Backhoe at least in my Area. The L and LA series are designed for Lawn mowing and Snow removal.

·
steelhrd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by it's rating, you are correct.

knowing what i put my L130 thru, i say it can handle pulling out a SMALL hedge but would advise against doing it often.
Now i gotta go to work and admit to being wrong. Dg your gonna have to start conforming your answer to making me look good. lol Thanks for the rescue Sarge i got a reputation as a know it all to protect.

·
Super Moderator
29,566 Posts
don't take my answer as an endorsement for him. it is NOT rated nor designed for such work.

you can haul 2000 pounds or more of concrete blocks in a nissan truck too, but common sense says not to do it! and in a nissan 4x4 it tends to lift the front tires off teh ground enough to not let it turn!:hide:

·
steelhrd
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't take my answer as an endorsement for him. it is NOT rated nor designed for such work.

you can haul 2000 pounds or more of concrete blocks in a nissan truck too, but common sense says not to do it! and in a nissan 4x4 it tends to lift the front tires off teh ground enough to not let it turn!:hide:
wouldn"t that be fun though!!!
by the way this nicest group of guys on the net thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now i gotta go to work and admit to being wrong. Dg your gonna have to start conforming your answer to making me look good. lol Thanks for the rescue Sarge i got a reputation as a know it all to protect.
It all comes down to the technique you use. You can lift a 60 lbs bag of concrete incorrectly and hurt your back doing it wrong. Lift 300+ lbs with the proper method and have no problems. The same goes for sports. A good golfer has a proper swing a baseball pictcher has the proper release. Its not just about brut strength.

In the case of pulling out the hedges, the proper technique might be to setup a double line pull using a snatch block, a block and tackle or some other type of leveraged pull. :trink40:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Now you know what the "L" stands for in the L series.:thThumbsU :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts