My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "trusty" MTD/Bolens 15.5 Intek rider puked a valve yesterday....least I think that's what it is, anyway, no compression and no hole in the block, so I assume its got Intek puke-a-valve disease that I read on here about a bit. Its been the best 500.00 mower money could buy, but that isn't saying much. At all. In other words, good riddance.

Now, I am ready for something a little nicer and maybe, just maybe, not having to exercise my wrenching skills every week to keep cutting grass.

I have narrowed my search down to three mowers. $2000.00 max budget. I don't intend to do anything but cut grass. I have a Quad to pull a cart if need be, and I live in South Louisiana so if I have to push snow we are ALL in a world of hurt. Nor are there any hills, although my yard is a bit uneven.

1.Husky YTH23V48
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/garden-tractors/yth23v48/

I like the five anti scalping wheels, but am scared to death of that Intek under the hood. Although I do not know if the twins have the same problem that the singles do.

2.Dixon D22KH46
http://www.dixon-ztr.com/node2328.aspx?nid=249358&pid=100518

This machine has four gauge wheels, and a Kohler Courage V-twin. I have read on here differing opinions on on the Kohlers, I know it isn't a Command (what is these days?) Its also a little cheaper.

3. Sears Craftsman YT 4500

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128990000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

This mower is really TOO big for my acre, but if the price is right......:trink39:

I like the front mounted anti-scapling wheel like the Husky has, but again, am unsure about the Kohler.

I currently also ride a YT4500 that I picked out for my Mom to keep her yard up, but with a 21 HP B&S, 46" no scalping wheel in the middle. It does a TERRIBLE job mulching. Even with Gators, I am less than impressed. decent machine otherwise though, so I kind of know what to expect, because after all, all three machines above roll out of the same plant.

Dealer support is not a HUGE deal to me, having owned a MTD I think I can handle anything short of a repower, and I could probably handle that. Being that all three of my choices are HYP products, belts,blades and such should be easy to find.

So which one? Kohler or B&S? Three blade deck or two blade deck? Orange,Blue, or Red? :banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

I have a frontrunner in my mind, but I am going to keep it to myself until I hear some different opinions.

Thanks to any and all who took the time to read this! :trink39:

·
Member 800 post club !!
953 Posts
I owned a DYT4000 for 5 years. Had the briggs twin. Never once let me down. I recently sold it and went back to Snapper. I sold a Snapper to buy the DYT4000. I loved the DYT but it was just too big for what my yard had become with the landscaping and garden etc. If needed, I would by another Craftsman without hesitation.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Go with the B&S

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
An acre you could easily do with a push mower and keep a lot of cash in your pocket. If you're into cut quality and the striped look, Simplicity rules.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An acre you could easily do with a push mower and keep a lot of cash in your pocket. If you're into cut quality and the striped look, Simplicity rules.

Push mower? no thanks. It took me almost two hours with the MTD, I am not looking to EXTEND my cutting time. And sadly, Simplicity is out of my price range.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Simplicity also makes allis-chalmers and snapper lawn tractors.

Here is a Allis-chalmers they are sold at simplicity dealers. and made by simplicity.

OR a Simplicity

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Or an older deere. LX LT GT GX series would fit in your price and will last way longer. Here is some on Machine finder

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
I'm leary of my 21 hp Intek also in my YS4500. I heard about them a day late and a dollar short. From what I understand, if you keep the oil changed and at the proper level and mow a flat yard, they are fine. Works out for me, but if I were buying new I would avoid it. I must admit though, it's quiet smooth and powerful so far.

Another issue with the Craftsmans seem to be "frame flex". I can feel mine "twist" every now and then on uneven terrain. I asked my local Husky dealer [Husky made my Craftsman] if he has had any feedback about flex and he said no. But then again, whats's a dealer gonna say?

Over all I am very happy with my Craftsman. It's comfortable and handles well and gives me a nice cut. No experience mulching though.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
2 hours to mow an acre with a rider has to be some lousy rider. For 7 years I mowed my 2 acres with a 21" push mower in around 4 hours.

If my choice was based on what engine is in the rider, it would be Kawasaki. I would choose a lawn mower based on how the deck performs as cut quality is more important to me.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
In general 1 blade cuts better than 2, 2 blades cut better than 3. As far as engines, I don't think there is much difference between them. Pick the color you like. If you have a dealer for service in the area, I might go with what he sells, but as you know, these are all close cousins, and a dealer who services any of them, can service all of them.

I am partial to blue, but that's just because I think it's got a good name.
steve dixon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The other thing you could check out is an Ariens unit. It also is built by Husky.

Did that last night. Seems like its the 'value' part of the HYP line, no hour meter, and the 'automatic' transmission instead of a hydro, no shrouds around the deck quills, and the single cylinder engine. It even looks 'cheaper' than the other HYP tractors.

EDIT: That musta been last year's model or something I saw last night, I just checked the Ariens website and they all have hydros and twins....hummmmm

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
No Brainer with the choices you listed get the Dixon. It's the same basic machine as the Craftsman GT or the Husq, but the difference is, it's powered by Kawasaki and that really doesn't need to be elaborated on! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No Brainer with the choices you listed get the Dixon. It's the same basic machine as the Craftsman GT or the Husq, but the difference is, it's powered by Kawasaki and that really doesn't need to be elaborated on! :)
No this is the smaller Dixon, not the garden tractor Dixon...I wish I had that scratch for that beast! :thThumbsU

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
This is the one he posted. Not to start anything.
Dixon D22KH46

The Dixon 22HP Kohler yard tractor comes fully featured. Features such as hydrostatic pedal control transmission, electric push button blade engagement, cruise control and deluxe comfort features from seat to steering wheel. Dixon yard tractors offer premium performance with excellent results.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
from the 3 you posted, it would just depend on service in your area per machine and which engine brand you want. Good Luck!:fing32:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
1.Husky YTH23V48
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/garden-tractors/yth23v48/

I like the five anti scalping wheels...
The specs say 4, not 5. [edit] Ok, the nose roller makes it 5.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/garden-tractors/yth23v48/#specifications

You say you have uneven ground. A 48" deck can scalp uneven ground regardless of how many wheels it has. Even with my 42" deck, I have to contour mow certain sections to get the right cut. I had to cut down some trees after getting my 42" and there are still some tight spaces I wouldn't fit through with anything bigger.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts