My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest steal,,,, that White 14hp rider is dirty. Especially around the engine. I'm thinking of removing the entire hood and shrouding around the engine and then going to the car was bay and using high pressure. Is this a good or bad idea? Or any hints on how to do it. I will be selling the engine but don't want to cause any problems for whoever buys the engine. Its a Vanguard V-twin vertical.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I use a high pressure washer at the end of each mowing and leaf season before getting it ready for winter duty. I've never had any problems. slkpk

·
Sparky
297 Posts
last time i did that, they kicked me out and told me to never come back with a mower again.
Thats sad to hear. Apparently they didn't need your business. When I clean up our trencher, I use a car wash at most times. I am always couteous and spray all of the mud/grease/dirt down the drain. As long as you leave the car wash as clean as you found it they should not care.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Thats sad to hear. Apparently they didn't need your business. When I clean up our trencher, I use a car wash at most times. I am always couteous and spray all of the mud/grease/dirt down the drain. As long as you leave the car wash as clean as you found it they should not care.

It's not that they don't need business. They just don't need "That" kind of business. Most of the better car washes recycle the water and they want minimal amounts of contamination in the system as it probably kills the filtration system much more quickly than just washing cars.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm a car wash owner that also spent a couple of decades in the outdoor power eq. business. One of the car washes was next to our lawn mower store. We probably pressure cleaned thousands of mowers and engines. Other than spraying directly into electrical parts there is not much you can do to significantly harm your engine, so go for it.

Once in a while you will encounter a car wash owner that gets bent out of shape over cleaning something greasy or muddy, but most are like me and realise it just goes with the territory. If you are one of the few that actually cleans up afterward, trust me, we don't mind.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
It's not that they don't need business. They just don't need "That" kind of business. Most of the better car washes recycle the water and they want minimal amounts of contamination in the system as it probably kills the filtration system much more quickly than just washing cars.
:ditto: Same here .. its a no no to wash greasy and real muddy off road vehicles.. they will ask if not tell you to leave ASAP .. most self service car washes have signage saying it also

·
Registered
476 Posts
Do you have an air compressor? I used mine to clean off an oily Briggs, it worked really well. I was surprised. Just wear old clothes, and do it outside, the flecks spray everywhere.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
:ditto: Same here .. its a no no to wash greasy and real muddy off road vehicles.. they will ask if not tell you to leave ASAP .. most self service car washes have signage saying it also
Yep the really nice car wash I go to which is always well stocked on cleaning agents (love the place, my car comes out so clean and shiny and I never touch the car with a sponge or brush).

But that doesn't stop the road-side BBQ grille guy from showing up late and night and making a absolute disaster out of one of the bays.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
If you do wash it, be sure to run it immediately afterward to dry it out. To put it another way, if it doesn't run now, don't wash it.

·
Junk Collector
420 Posts
It will be fine. However if you get some electrical connections wet, you won't be able to restart it until it's dry.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
Yep the really nice car wash I go to which is always well stocked on cleaning agents (love the place, my car comes out so clean and shiny and I never touch the car with a sponge or brush).

But that doesn't stop the road-side BBQ grille guy from showing up late and night and making a absolute disaster out of one of the bays.
No sure where you live but anywhere around here they never say anything. Washed all kinds of nasty stuff around here. My old boss owns one in Oklahoma City. Gets all kinds of crazy crap. he just asks them to clean up the big stiff when they are done like trash, grass etc. If I had a carwash around here that had that kind of signage someone else would have my and most everyone else's business except for the yuppies who will pay someone to wash it anyway.

T.C.

·
an effin canadian
549 Posts
wow. I would be floored if someone told me I couldn't wash my truck, car, rv, whatever in a car wash because it was too dirty. that doesn't make sense one bit. I'm not talking about rinsing off a shortblock, i'm talking about washing my 4x4 after having a little fun. that usually equals spending 3 times the normal amount at the car wash.

that's like saying you can't go to a restaurant if you're too hungry - they'll kick you out because you'll eat all the food!! :00000060:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
wow. I would be floored if someone told me I couldn't wash my truck, car, rv, whatever in a car wash because it was too dirty. that doesn't make sense one bit. I'm not talking about rinsing off a shortblock, i'm talking about washing my 4x4 after having a little fun. that usually equals spending 3 times the normal amount at the car wash.

that's like saying you can't go to a restaurant if you're too hungry - they'll kick you out because you'll eat all the food!! :00000060:
I do not own a car wash nor do I know anyone who does..

I do however understand where they are coming from ... I have personally seen the mess that some disrespectful people have left for "someone else" to have to clean up. Making that bay unusable till it gets done. :fing20: Do you really think the "next" customer wants to walk in the mud or feed the machine with quarters to clean up the mess ?

Might be different where you are .. I guess I live in an area where some people are slobs :duh:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Same here, Ken. I don't see Bubba leaving 2 yards of clay from his monster truck too often, but when he does...

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
Happens everytime it rains here. You just spend an extra buck hosing the ground off from the other guy. Guess we aer just used to it!

T.C.

·
an effin canadian
549 Posts
Our car washes have attendants that keep the place clean. don't often see too many waiters at a restaurant b*tching about bringing you a menu, it's their job.

maybe I am a bubba that leaves 2 yards of dirt behind. I have a lifted truck that I mud regularly. It's called a car WASH, not a car shine-up-an-already-clean-car.

anyway, i never leave the floor dirty. I never clean it either, just all seems to run into the grate - by the time you've spent $15 on just the undercarriage, there's not much dirt left on the floor.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i understand that. i would probably do the same if i owned a carwash. i mean there was alot of grass and dirt.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts

Ditto here as well..most car washes do NOT want "mud trucks" that just came from the bogs,or any industrial equipment,including mowers and tractors being washed at the car washes here..(though many DO at "off hours" and no one is the wiser--till the owner checks the holding tanks and filters that is!--most have closed curciut survelilliance camers now that get the plate numbers of offenders vehicles so they can track down who did it and make them pay fines.)..I heard it was tractor trailer owner/operators washing off fifth wheels that got the "ban" started,then it spread to unclude many other things too..

I had to laugh at one car wash near my house--the instructions on the wall on how to use the "gun" and "foaming brush" properly, states :

:Do NOT use FOAMING BRUSH to clean ENGINE !!:.....

I can just imagine the look on the guys face with the white Caddy,who was next in line after someone DID wash their engine with it!..:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts