My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came this across this Craigslist ad for a Poulan lawn tractor.
"I have a Poulan 6 speed riding lawn mower. It stopped working last year and I have not attemped to repair it. I have no idea what is wrong with it. I could be something very simple. It haas a bagger as well. $125."
It is only 20 mins. from me.
So, I emailed them and asked for pics and more specifics on exactly what stopped working. She says it is about 7 years old and just stopped moving. Says engine runs great. From the pics she sent, it is a 15hp ohv, 42" deck.
The price isn't bad for a lawn tractor like that depending on how much I have to get into the tranny. I know it could be as simple as the worn out belt jumped off the pulley or something as involved as rebuilding or replacing the tranny. I would only buy this for resale as I bought a brand new Poulan in April. Any thoughts on what I might be looking at for tranny repairs?

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
How far is it from you ?? Seems cheap to me .. like you said .. it could just be a belt .. before I could decided .. I would have to go and take a look

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may just go snag the lawn tractor. I emailed the seller again and asked if the wheels turn, meaning can we roll it up a ramp into my truck.She replied "Yes". So, if the wheels do roll, I assume that means the transaxle is fine and the problem lies in the belt drive area. And that is a much easier & cheaper fix than a tranny.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Better check the transaxle first - if it's a Peerless; just walk away. My Peerless transaxle just went kaput and the dealer doesn't know if he can get a replacement. Find something more heavy duty instead of this light weight, work a couple of seasons junk.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better check the transaxle first - if it's a Peerless; just walk away. My Peerless transaxle just went kaput and the dealer doesn't know if he can get a replacement. Find something more heavy duty instead of this light weight, work a couple of seasons junk.
Husqvarna bought Peerless, so parts are still available for that. I have a Peerless in my new Poulan and I had a Peerless in my 1974 Montgomery Wards Lawn Tractor and never had a problem with that. Finally had to get rid of that only because the B&S engine started using more oil than gas.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I bought it. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $125. Came with a 2 bin hard bagger. That and the engine are each worth the price. It is a little older than what they said. They said it was about 7 years old. Engine DOM tells me it is most likely a 1999 model. Engine is a Tecumseh OHV150-20403E DOM 9098. Engine made in 98 for a 99 model tractor. I also believe it is a HomeDepot model as the model number is HDT1542A. Now I just have to figure out what tranny it has and I will probably just replace the tranny depending on price. I will crawl under it tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts