My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the John Deere dealer yesterday even though I don't like them. They are the biggest in the area so I went to see what they had used. I poked around out back with the permission of my salesman and found a 14sb. I was excited.

With several pulls it started up. Who knows how long it had been sitting. Adding to my excitement it had a bagger and a mulch plug and about 10 feet away, a side discharge chute. I put the chute on, took it out front, and started to mow and it was great. A few things wrong though, all new wheels needed (no problem), cuts out at about half choke (may be a problem), and takes some pushing to get tranny moving (biggest problem). Has almost all paint and the big tricycler sticker that goes up the bagging tunnel. Later, I came back and found the salesman and showed him what I had found. He wanted $150. After some persuasion and arguing, 125 was as low as he'd go, and finally after telling him I don't have much and I couldn't do 125, he changed to $100. I told him I would call or stop in on Monday.

I'm not sure yet if I want to keep it, or sell it after fixing it up.

What do you guys think? To buy or not to buy?

Thanks to all how reply.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
If it does drive I have to assume the tranny is ok. I believe they either work or not. If it needs a new tranny it's a little pricey, certinaly more than you would have paid for it. Could be the belt slipping too. Was the handle for the self propel "tight" feeling when you had it pulled up? Those also sometimes will slip in and out of gear if the lever isn't in just the right position. With 5 speeds there's not much fudge room on the lever, mine usually has to be put into the gear you want and then pulled back a little to get it fully in that gear...

Not sure what you mean by "cuts out at 1/2 choke". That's pretty normal I think. Mine is very touchy on the choke, and barely runs at all when the choke is even slightly on. I rarely even choke it when starting. Hard to believe, as old as it is and it still fires on the first pull 99% of the time. One of the best engines ever.

$100 is about right I'd guess, without seeing it. I gave like $400 for mine, but that was 10 years ago now, lol.

Even if you fixed it up I doubt you would make much profit off of it, other than maybe finding someone else that just HAD to have a 14SB. At least we know the source for wheels at like 1/3 the price of the same ones at the dealership! (of course I'd have to hunt now to find the link to that site).

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
often the choke sticks in these resulting in the half choke symtpom. also the sp clutch cable could be out of adjustment . i have yet to see a 14sb trans fail inside-always its a matter of adjustment

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant it cuts out at half throttle. Sorry.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
often the choke sticks in these resulting in the half choke symtpom. also the sp clutch cable could be out of adjustment . i have yet to see a 14sb trans fail inside-always its a matter of adjustment
Mine has failed, and years back, when the JX-75 and JX-85 were being made still, I know some guys that ditched the JD's for other bands because of the trannys failing and then costing nearly $200 to replace.

My old 14SB only has a few original parts on it. The engine, Deck, Upper handle... That's about it. Every cable, transmission, BBC, handle, Wheels (of course, 2 sets that I know of), Belt, and more I'm probably forgetting. All replaced at some point in time. Some were just general maintenance items, some just used up. I kept putting money into new parts though because it is so **** dependable. Good 21" mowers are hard to find, and when you have one that starts on the first pull still, despite being over 20 years old, and is the easiest to run and most comfortable... I just couldn't junk it!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
300 Posts
Was at the John Deere dealer yesterday even though I don't like them. They are the biggest in the area so I went to see what they had used. I poked around out back with the permission of my salesman and found a 14sb. I was excited.

With several pulls it started up. Who knows how long it had been sitting. Adding to my excitement it had a bagger and a mulch plug and about 10 feet away, a side discharge chute. I put the chute on, took it out front, and started to mow and it was great. A few things wrong though, all new wheels needed (no problem), cuts out at about half choke (may be a problem), and takes some pushing to get tranny moving (biggest problem). Has almost all paint and the big tricycler sticker that goes up the bagging tunnel. Later, I came back and found the salesman and showed him what I had found. He wanted $150. After some persuasion and arguing, 125 was as low as he'd go, and finally after telling him I don't have much and I couldn't do 125, he changed to $100. I told him I would call or stop in on Monday.

I'm not sure yet if I want to keep it, or sell it after fixing it up.

What do you guys think? To buy or not to buy?

Thanks to all how reply.
I'd do it :fing32: ...... but then again I paid just north of $600(new) for mine back in 1993.

Sounds just like my JD, tricycler sticker and all. :)

FWIW, Around here, a nice SP 14sb(everything working) sells pretty quick in the $250+/- range. Half that for a push model.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I went today and my salesman was nowhere to be found and neither was the mower!!
Either he put it somewhere so no one would take it, or he sold which has happened at this dealer before. We'll find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Better to buy now than wait. The one that got a way is what they always say!

Trust in your instincts. You learn to be a better buyer that way. Sometimes you lose, but most of the time you win!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talked to the salesman today. He said the owner did some house cleaning and may have moved it or put it in line for fixing. I said to him to find it and get it out of the fixing line. He said he would. We will see how good his word is.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Where are you at here in the Hoosier state Toros'r'us? I'm down south in Bedford.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the Fort Wayne area.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been there.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back to the topic of this thread;

What are the model numbers of the spark plug and air filter? How much oil and what kind?
I will probably go buy it on Sat.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought. Found it back in the junk pile. $75. Me happy!!!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Glad you got it - and the $$ came down again / that's a win !!

--------------------------------------
Beaumont { :>)) www.petperfectexpress.com
Golden Rule - "he who has the gold, makes the rule"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135888 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=136600&page=3
1992 JD 318 original paint w/484 hr. on P218g Onan & #49 snow blower / 1998 JD GT262 w/brand new Kawasaki OHV & 48" rebuilt deck
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=135838

1 - 18 of 18 Posts