My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been clearing land and it looks like I have ~ 3+ acres open now counting my CR frontage. I now have a 44" Swisher tow brushhog I've been pulling with my 3240. Vid is doing the frontage a few days ago.

It dawned on me that I don't have to use my XT3 to finish mow everything this year and that letting 2 acres grow for 4 weeks?? then brushhogging it would save wear and tear on the mower and time on the seat.

Below shows the left side of my front yard which has been pushed back to the tall trees after brushhogging the 3ft tall stuff in the pics. XT3 is ~100ft from the front of my house and that path in the middle goes to 200yds from my house. The bottom pic is left of the above pics and there's more to my yard to the right side.

So, I'm thinking about hitting a strip of my front yard ~100ftx300ft at the top and then letting the bottom grow and be brushhogged. This will be my first experience brushhogging growing grass and I'd love some input on when is a good time to cut it (height of grass).

So what would you do here?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Rather an interesting question, Steve Urquell! The primary thing you have to consider is just what you are going to do with or the use of the cleared land. Since you live in a rural area, you likely do not have any local ordinances concerning the appearance of the land. The real reason for those ordinances is property values. Likewise, you don't have any homeowner associations (HOA) with their myriad rules and regulations.
Are you considering various fields of fire, that is to restrict the cover available to intruders, either human or animal? You've often stated problems with those cuddly and cute armadillos overturning rocks at night. Do you want to simply gaze out from inside your house and see the results of the mowing? It does look good when it's all green and a uniform level all over. Do you have any future plans for a garden where you would use the clippings for compost or mulch? Do you even collect the clippings?
Many of the people around here use a brushhog as their only mower with a string trimmer for the tight spots. That's even on smaller properties of an acre or less. They wait until the grass is 6-10 inches tall and then cut it down. Then just leave the clippings on the ground to be ground up the next time it is bushhogged.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rather an interesting question, Steve Urquell! The primary thing you have to consider is just what you are going to do with or the use of the cleared land. Since you live in a rural area, you likely do not have any local ordinances concerning the appearance of the land. The real reason for those ordinances is property values. Likewise, you don't have any homeowner associations (HOA) with their myriad rules and regulations.
Are you considering various fields of fire, that is to restrict the cover available to intruders, either human or animal? You've often stated problems with those cuddly and cute armadillos overturning rocks at night. Do you want to simply gaze out from inside your house and see the results of the mowing? It does look good when it's all green and a uniform level all over. Do you have any future plans for a garden where you would use the clippings for compost or mulch? Do you even collect the clippings?
Many of the people around here use a brushhog as their only mower with a string trimmer for the tight spots. That's even on smaller properties of an acre or less. They wait until the grass is 6-10 inches tall and then cut it down. Then just leave the clippings on the ground to be ground up the next time it is bushhogged.
Mainly just for looks and to keep it from getting out of control. The sumac is taking over most of my fields and I fear forestry mulching may be my only option at this point. Not worried about a perfect lawn but am wondering how well it will look with brushhogging only.

·
That Guy
1,074 Posts
I can't help you much, or at all, but I can tell you that your 3240 is a tank, and that Swisher mower is impressive!

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
That 6-10 inches was normal last summer between rains and unpassable mud. One patch did not get mowed till September. Someone needs to buy a mini bailer and just pass it around.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't help you much, or at all, but I can tell you that your 3240 is a tank, and that Swisher mower is impressive!
Thank you sir. I'm pretty pleased with the 3240 as it sits. The Swisher brushhog is awesome on tall grass and saplings ~1". It will chop up 2-2.5" but slides off to the side of it when there are several stalks. I can't drive directly over saplings as it goes into the hydro fan so I'm mowing offset with it.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..duplicate post

·
That Guy
1,074 Posts
Thank you sir. I'm pretty pleased with the 3240 as it sits. The Swisher brushhog is awesome on tall grass and saplings ~1". It will chop up 2-2.5" but slides off to the side of it when there are several stalks. I can't drive directly over saplings as it goes into the hydro fan so I'm mowing offset with it.
Do you have any problems using it offset? Does it move around in any unexpected or unwanted ways?

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Do you have any problems using it offset? Does it move around in any unexpected or unwanted ways?
Nope, it's very predictable. I can even back it up just fine but it can get in a bind. I've broken 2 hitch bolts so far. Replaced with grade 8. The new version of it has a ball hitch rather than a pin. I may weld one on and see how that works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts