My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my Ferguson, TO 20, serial no. 52881 has a case of not starting. I think it is an electrical problem. I've had the coil tested and it is good, replaced the plug wires and plugs as well as the distributor cap and rotor. When I use a spark tester, I get varying results. 1 spark plug lead shows I'm getting spark when I crank the engine, but when I move to another plug wire I'll get 1 spark, then nothing. On another wire, nothing at all. I don't know where to go from here. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Any luck with this? Is it still 6v? Did the problem start all at once or was there a gradual tarting / running problem? I'm asking questions but I don't have any good ideas! A bad cap will produce erratic results... What about the ignition switch and related connections? I'm reaching, I know.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Any luck with this? Is it still 6v? Did the problem start all at once or was there a gradual tarting / running problem? I'm asking questions but I don't have any good ideas! A bad cap will produce erratic results... What about the ignition switch and related connections? I'm reaching, I know.
"Starting" not "tarting" :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding, It is a 6 volt system. The tractor has become more difficult to start over time. Yesterday, I changed the points and condenser, but still no spark. I gapped the points at 22 thousands. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, let's noodle this out... The coil is good,- cap, rotor, points, condenser, wires and plugs all changed. I think the setting for the gap is .020 (I think the plugs are .022) but look it up first, I might have them reversed.

What about the hot wire (neg -) from the switch to the coil? Any chance it's grounding out on something or the switch itself is bad? Or from the regulator to the ignition switch? I'm wondering if one of those wires is bad or grounding out from time to time, wouldn't that ground out the ignition?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SpiderJohn, my book recommends .022 for the breaker gap and .025 for the plugs. I was looking again this afternoon and ended up with a dead battery. I'll check the wiring from the on-off switch for loose ends causing grounds. Thanks again.

·
Registered
371 Posts
SpiderJohn, my book recommends .022 for the breaker gap and .025 for the plugs. I was looking again this afternoon and ended up with a dead battery. I'll check the wiring from the on-off switch for loose ends causing grounds. Thanks again.
If it ever comes down to me or the book, go with the book every time!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SpiderJohn, well, at least I now have some spark. It isn't a bright white arcing dance, but I do see a spark. I may have to drag her down the road a bit to see if I can get it to run. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SpiderJohn, just to let you know the old babe fired up today. Regardless of what my book says, I reset the points at 20 thousands, maybe that is why I got it started. Thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts