My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-I have a 4 y/o TN60A with 162 hours. I use it to manage round and big square bales, put in posts with my Shaver pounder and get hay racks periodically. No problems at all that I'm aware of.
But, when I cruise down the road to take the hay racks back or go to a site to pound posts, I put it in 3range 4th gear (sychro master transmission) and it howls and whines at a fairly high decibel. This is my first "ag tractor", I've had a succession of 17-33 horsepower HST Kubotas and Ford/New Hollands and never experienced this noise. There is plenty of fluid in the transmission, and I'm puzzled, but this is a big tractor(for me) and few hours so maybe it's just getting broke in??
Any ideas, do I need to worry?
Thanks-Bill

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
at pto rpm running down the road in 8th gear my 7610s kinda whines pretty good too.

is it a gear whine?

turbo whine?

hyd relief whine?

soundguy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sound guy-It's a gear whine, louder when when tractor goes faster,not related to engine as it gets less only when the tractor speed decreases. Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Has it just started making the whine or has it been happening all along?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JohnW-Has done since I first got it 4 years ago in the situation where I was going down the road at high speeds in the highest gear. I hadn't done that in some time so when I did last week I thought I'd find out what the forum thought as I thought maybe it should be more "broke in" now, but I recognize it's got lots of iron in the axle, few hours, and maybe that's the nature of these machines, but it's my first bigger gear tractor and I'm a relative neophyte. Thanks for your reply. Bill

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I would not be concerned then in all likely hood it is just normal gear whine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Farmboy21, and SixBales-Thanks for the replies. It is not in 4WD when it makes the whine, and the front differential and rear hydraulics are all up to full, I did worry about that but they check out. Thanks again. Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts