My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember years ago I brought a All Terrian Cycle for $500 and it had a Title, now I have a lawn tractor I paid 6 times that amount, I was just wondering, do they have titles? And if not, at what point do tractors have titles? I can't beleive a 40k tractor doesn't have some kind of title paperwork to support legal ownership.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
None of my AG tractors have a title...just a bill of sale...and the fact that the dealership registers it with JD Corporate
Now if I had them licensed for highway operations...I would get a title from the state...;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Um, I think that's why thieves steal them, for transport to foreign countries. Easy to take, worth a lot of $, and no title.

Incidentally, Here in OK, titles are required for outboard motors.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
No titles required in Texas.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So something like this.

Doesn't have a title? Unbelieveable.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
And the equipment, it pulls, much of it costs more than most CUTS and they only have bills of sale, as well...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
66 Posts
If it can be driven on a highway at highway speeds, it has to have a title.

Quads have titles too, but only because they can be covered by insurance, like a car or motorcycle.

Boats and watercraft have titles because they are operated on lakes that owned by state governments, and you have to abide by the laws on those lakes and other bodies of state owned water.

Tractors and rider mowers dont have titles cause of the fact they spend most of their lives on private property, however the law does allow the operator to drive it on the sides of the road.

Make sence?? And yes, VINs all have to be regestured by the state gov. However Serial numbers do not.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
titles on an OUTBOARD MOTOR? I have never heard of that (and I have owned several) so what if I bring my 18 HP Evinrude from IL, to use in OK? would they confiscate it? Not allow it on their waters, what? (I have never been to OK, so IDK what waterways if any, exist there?)

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm surprised states haven't put titles on tractors so you would have to license them to go up and down roads. That way you could pay more taxes. They have figured out every other way to get our money.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
I'm surprised states haven't put titles on tractors so you would have to license them to go up and down roads. That way you could pay more taxes. They have figured out every other way to get our money.
AG states have lots of laws in place to protect farmers...;)
In Vermont they would have to re-write large portions of the DOT and amend a large number of laws to require us to license our tractors...:D

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'm surprised states haven't put titles on tractors ... That way you could pay more taxes. They have figured out every other way to get our money.
Yep, titles are only an excuse for taxes. The VIN and other serial numbers retrieve a stolen car, not the title.

I can't believe $40K tractors and implements are not stored under cover! I have seen many very expensive rusting hulks in our area.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Another thing you all are missing is that in some states ALL ag machines, tools, materials, etc... are NOT taxed (tax exempt), therefore they cannot title and register the tractors as that would be a tax.
And BTW the farmers here have free reign of the roads, must have orange triangle posted and not travel faster than 25 mph.

Scott

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
JCB makes a tractor that can go 40 mph.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I remember years ago I brought a All Terrian Cycle for $500 and it had a Title, now I have a lawn tractor I paid 6 times that amount, I was just wondering, do they have titles? And if not, at what point do tractors have titles? I can't beleive a 40k tractor doesn't have some kind of title paperwork to support legal ownership.
Did you buy your $3000.00 lawn tractor from a dealer or store? Did you get a bill of sale with it? If so, that's the paperwork that supports legal ownership. The bill of sale SHOULD state the make, model and serial number.

There's no difference between a VIN (vehicle identification number), a PIN (product identification number) or a serial number. All of them are stamped into the body of the machine or stamped onto a plate that is affixed to the machine. All numbers provide information about the machine that is used to identify which parts were used to build that particular machine.

A VIN can tell a parts guy which engine, transmission, rear end were installed, what body style, trim level etc. The serial portion of a VIN is only the last few digits in a long string of letters and digits.

But welcome to the world of off-road machinery. It doesn't matter if you buy a motocross bike or a half-million dollar excavator. There's no such thing as an ownership document similar to what is issued for a car or truck. I own road graders that are worth $250,000.00 each if bought today and none of them have a title.

The notion that titles are only an excuse for taxes is a bit preposterous. Civilized society needs laws to keep it civilized and law enforcement needs tools that make it simpler for them to identify those who break the law. VIN's are displayed on titles that come with licence plates. It's those licence plates that make it simple for law enforcement do their job. It costs money to make, issue and track licence plates. Therefore, those who use the system should be the ones who pay for the system.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
There are states that title outboards. We're moving to SC, and I found out they do. I called to ask what you do if you're coming from a state that doesn't. They said I had to have a notarized Bill of Sale! I explained that most of my motors are antiques, with one being 1922. No exceptions, I was told. So- I make sure I get that Bill of Sale when I pick up another antique. I guess I'll have to sell the other ones before I move.

Here in FL, they are very lax about trailers. There are no titles on trailers under 2000 lbs. I made my own trailer, and dutifully showed them all of the receipts for the parts and materials. They weren't interested in any of that. So you can steal a trailer and register it as home made without any trouble. People do that with boats here as well, and apparently get away with it.

As for tractors- I don't think they could require titles unless you do operate it on a public road. How would they enforce it? Please don't give them any ideas- I have enough paperwork to take care of as it is!

·
Registered
806 Posts
titles on an OUTBOARD MOTOR? I have never heard of that (and I have owned several) so what if I bring my 18 HP Evinrude from IL, to use in OK? would they confiscate it? Not allow it on their waters, what? (I have never been to OK, so IDK what waterways if any, exist there?)
This is how it was explained to me... Outboard motors can cost a lot of $$$. They are small enough, that thieves could quickly yank it off your boat, and drive away with it. Therefore, they are titled.

I can't answer "legal" questions.

But, I hope to kiss a duck, if they would try to confiscate your property! That would be just plain unconstitutional!

I would imagine that the state of OK, would respect the rights of visitors from other states. I believe that states are required to respect each others laws. For example, my little pick up bed trailer has no title. In many states titles are required for trailers. Other states cannot prevent me from pulling my unlicensed/untitled trailer on their roads.

Waterways? Yes, we have several lakes. See google maps.
Boating and fishing are quite popular here.

I hope answering the question didn't take the thread too far off course. :fing02:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Everywhere I've lived, they already tax dogs. You have to pay for an annual registration, right? Sounds like a tax to me!

Here in FL, the police presence on the water is truly amazing. Over Labor Day weekend, they announced that their goal was to stop and inspect EVERY boat on the water! Personally, I get tired of being stopped and checked every time I go boating. I had a friend that was stopped 3 times (by different agencies) on his way back to the ramp one time.

I guess all of this is meant to protect us, but it sure seems like 1) an invasion of privacy and 2) another way to collect money from us.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts