My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks, need some advice in regard to tire sizing on the 'ol 66. The tires on it are total shot (cracked & hard) and to drain 6 yrs of rain water out of them, I had to drill holes in each one through the tread.

the rears are marked 7.50-12 2 ply and the fronts are marked 4.80-4.00-8.

Everything I see is has a number ahead of the 7.50 (ex. 27-7.50-12)

suggestions as to what I should look for?

Thanks

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,045 Posts
I agree- get a 23x8.50-12 for the rear, and you can get 4.00-8 or 4.80-8 tires in trailer tires, or tri ribs etc for the front.

ebay, simpletire.com, millertire.com, greterclevelandtire.com are all good places to find deals.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much --- wasn't sure what width to get.

Kevin

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
next question --- surprise, surprise eh? heheheheheheee

what do you use for changing tires? been looking at the two harbor freight units.

thanks

kevin

·
2,148 Posts
For tires that size you need the mini one...get a 20% off coupon before buying...you do have to bolt it down to something substantial to be really effective....it does not work great...but it is faster than using big screwdrivers...they do sell "spoons" for about 5 bucks each to use with it...they are a big help...if you don't see them let me know and I will see if mine has a part# or other identification on it

·
Registered
766 Posts
You should think about how many times you're going to use a tire changer after this one? I used to have a manual bead breaker, tire spoons, etc. Don't recall if I gave them away or sold them. I have a LT and two GT's, various attachments, not to mention a farm with big tractors, etc. My tire repair now consists of airing up low tires and occasionally adding some Slime to a slow leak. Everything else I take to a shop and it's done.

While checking prices, check local tire shops, I've found they're a little higher than online, but often mounting is free which certainly justifies higher cost.

I'm also at the point in life where I have a barn full of "wonderful things," which I've acquired and now they collect dust, so am skeptical about specialty items with limited applications. There's also the question of whether the rims will hold air or will you have to add tubes to the cost? Very easy to pinch a tube, then you have to break down the tire remove and repair/replace the tube.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I have both the HF changers. Use the small one on 8 inch tires and the large one on the 12 inch tires. When I bought them years ago the 2 were about 75 dollars. Roger

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the input on changers --- I'll check with the local tire shops about doing them

kevin

·
Administrator
4,650 Posts
Just so you know, the 1st number in the tire size is the height of the tire....so a 23x8.50-12 will be 23" tall and 8.5" wide on a 12" wheel

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I could suggest to buy the tyres somewhere and get them mounted at a small shop somewhere near you and avoid the big box tyre dealers. I get mine changed out for $4 a tyre at a small gas station in rural Alabama. The tyre disposal fee is greater than the changeover and I just take the old ones with me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts