My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pro 12 with dual wheels on both sides that I am going to use pretty much exclusively for brush hogging. As such it would be nice to have the tires that I see on many model L tractors that look much more agricultural. I was wondering if someone could tell me what size and type of tire I would need to get these, and can I even run tyres like that with duals on both sides ?

This is the kind of look I would like to get :

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
What's wrong with this look? Duals are overrated. Do you have 3 bolt or 4 bolt hubs?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's wrong with this look? Duals are overrated. Do you have 3 bolt or 4 bolt hubs?

I am not sure what I have really, Here are a couple of pics. Would I need to take the outer wheels off to tell ?

I am not married to the whole dualie idea, I just thought seeing as it has them it might be best to stick with them to keep it more stable on hills

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I ride a sulky behind the pictured Pro8 on hills with no issues. Steering brakes are the best answer for mowing side slopes and fighting the tendency for the tractor to want to go down hill. Duals make the tractor difficult to turn around at the end of a row in my experience.

Looks like you have 3 bolt hubs with split rims and diamond tread tires in 4.80-8s I'm guessing.

Edit: those look bigger than 4.80-8. Occassionally you see 18x6.50-8's mounted on the split rims as well.

Recoil start. How's that to pull over?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I put 18-6.50x8.00 turf type on 3 bolt wide split rims with no problem. Used 16-6.50x8.00 tubes. Mounted on a C8 w/ 40" Commercial mower so the deck would sit level.
Also have an LS w/ dual ag tires (standard 4.80x8.00) running a 30" brush hog. Only problem is the outer tires tend to get hung up on trees and stumps. Very stable though.
Last, have an L w/ GRWs using 5.00x12 ag tires. Really wants to dig holes if you get the mower hung up on stumps. But it is very easy to steer and handle because of the tall tires.

All kinds of tires on e-bay. Bought the 12" and two other sets of 8" off vendors there.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
+1 on 18-6.50x8. That's what I run on my comm 12, same (old-style) hubs as you have.

I kind of like the duals for many applications. I wouldn't use them on really rough terrain, as they do get hung up on stuff, but on smooth/hilly stuff, they're great. For instance when I'm running the gang mowers on the comm 12, I couldn't live without them.

For snowblowing or brush-hogging in messy stuff, the duals come off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts