My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife has a 02 Explorer and its time for tires again. It came with michelins, and we put Michelins back on it last time, at the insistance of her father. Well, she went shopping and we both nearly pooped our pants at the quotes we were getting, $900-$1100 for four tires mounted. Four years ago the set only costed $600-$750. I have always put good cheap tires on my stuff, i dont think I have ever had a name brand tire on one of my vehicles. My wife is her daddys daughter and dad is again saying we need michelins, thats all he ever buys. I told hunny bunny that Dad could pay for them if he likes them so much, it would not hurt my feelings. After a long period of "warm" discussion she has agreed that Michelins are not in the budget.

So here i am looking for your opinions on tires and manufacturers. I am trying to make an informed decision, not just letting my wallet decide.

The explorer is our main family ride and is a daily driver. It goes on trips with us and to grandmas. There is no off roading or mudding.

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
i have firestone destination le tires on my truck and love them 55k mile warranty and they have a great ride they are usually in the 500 - 700 dollar range and they are a highway tire but so far seem decent in the occasional mud that i sometimes can'tavoid

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I'm with the "buy Michelin" crowd; they are the only tires I have ever bought that I achieve, let alone "blow away" the "rated" miles, before they need replaced again.
and I sold, mounted, repaired, etc tires for 18 years and also have alot of "customer feedback" to fall back on. unless you don't think the vehicle will "last" the length of another set of Michelins. and no, I don't run them to the minimum before replacing them either; no matter what brand; I have had the worst luck with Goodyears; most are overpriced garbage.
now for my 28 year old pickup? I am actually scouting the local junkyards watching for a near new set of takeoffs to come in.

·
Banned
2 Posts
there are so many tires out there ..Me myself would go with a name brand ..And this is why ...I had an 86 GMC dully with 16.5 tires ..They dont come cheap ..So i go buy me a set of tires from a box store they cost 500 less for all 4 then the BFGs i had before ..Thought i did great ...Well 4 months later i had a side wall blow out at 120 KMH on a 400 series highway end over end i went and end up in the hospital for a bit and got sued for 500,000 because i ended up tagging a car while i was flipping threw the air ....Please dont cheap out on tires like i did ..the tires had never been scrubbed on a curb or anything the white lettering still had the blue stuff on them ...and had less then 250 miles on them

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
i have firestone destination le tires on my truck and love them 55k mile warranty and they have a great ride they are usually in the 500 - 700 dollar range and they are a highway tire but so far seem decent in the occasional mud that i sometimes can'tavoid
That is what is on my wifes explorer .. Two years old and wearing VERY well :fing32:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
yea my g/f parents make her take her car to the local tire crooks, and they say her car NEEDS pirellis ITS A FORD FOCUS it cant go over 105!!!!!! , i got the same size on my honda and run hancooks, put the cheapest round tires on the back of the camaro, they only last 6,000 miles or 70 burn outs whatever comes first, run whatever is good on the front falken ziex's that are 150mph speed rated, my ranger i use wal mart specials, box truck and motorhome always got michelins, i had goodyear steer tires get waves in them for no reason, never any issue with goodyear drives, but anyway, i would good some good cheaper tires falkens run about 108 for an exploder, cheapest good year is 126, and michelin is 156

good luck

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..Me myself would go with a name brand
Dont get me wrong, i would like name brands but like you said there are so many out there. I dont mind Michelins, i do mind $1000 for tires.

In my short internet search session I have found name brands that i recognize at a lot less than $200 per tire.

Also what are yalls thoughts on buying off the internet?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'm dreading the next set for my pickup then coldone. I am a Michelin Nazi. 65K on my Dodge 2500, 80K on my VW Passat.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
i have h ad a friend buy on line w/o problems, my next set i have to buy for the maro will be from online

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
If you buy tires over the internet, make sure that take into account the charges for mounting, balancing, and rotations. Road hazard warranties may be a real hassle too.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Firestone Destination LE or AT are the best, My dad sells/installs them and are the best tire for the money!! We've had great results with explorers, F-150's, Rangers, Ram 1500's, Chevy 1500's, and dodge/ford fullsize vans.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Dont get me wrong, i would like name brands but like you said there are so many out there. I dont mind Michelins, i do mind $1000 for tires.

In my short internet search session I have found name brands that i recognize at a lot less than $200 per tire.

Firestone are fare priced i have a set toyos or what ever they are on my 2000 intrepid ...Those are pretty good i find not bad price wise i think i paid 125 each for 16 inch ..But i also have a discount ..

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Got a set on my Dodge, great all around tire for the money.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts

If you buy at places like Tirerack.com, they should have a list of tire places near you that will mount and balance them.

I personally would not buy car and truck tires online .. for only one reason .. I have been dealing with the same tire guy since I have been driving .. the same guy my father did also.
Small family business .. and in most cases he will honor any online price you can get, and you still get free mounting and balancing.

Shop online .. and get the best price you can .. then call around your area .. Chances are you will find someone to meet or beat that price :fing32:

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
well then I guess they would have had to make some "adjustments" in those Destinations; I remember when they came out; they were all wearing out prematurely. nobody liked them; now Firestone does make some decent stuff; but in my exp, not "that" tire.

I have 2 '97 Jeeps; a Wrangler and a Cherokee. I had a set of LTX A/T's on my Wrangler; 60K mile rating; I ran them 70K+ then put them on my (former) Cherokee-- the one the kid totalled-- and ran them another 15K on there and took em off w/1/2 tread+ left because they were gettin "old" I still have 1, use it only as a spare since it was made back in 1998. I put Kellys on theat 1st Cherokee; 50K miles shot in 1/2 that time with my wife driving most of those miles; evenly worn but "shot" after 24K; the 1st 15K mi were great; traction wise, they were quiet; but they didnt last.
so I put 2 new Goodyear Wranglers on back and 2 BFG Long trails on front (wife would not let me spring for what I wanted to put on there) The Goodyears were new with less than 1000 mi on them I got from a buddy who had sold his truck. traction in anything but dry pavement sucked; and they were somewhat aggressive tread.
I put a set of Daytons on the Wrangler and got short life from them too; even though they were rotated regularly.
so I went back to Michelin. I got em on a buy 3 get 1 free sale and took them to the school and mounted them myself. that's the Wrangler. same one I have had for 11 years now.

as far as the current Cherokee? Got it with a set of old outdated Micchelin Cross Terrains on it. I think the date code said they were 7-8 years old and the sidewalls showed it.
I was looking on CL one day and ran across a "set" of Michelin "X" Radials that were mounted on Jeep wheels already; asking price was $500.

I'm thinking set= 4 tires here and have a price in mind to offer the seller that I think up while headed there to see.

Well when I got there the "set" was 5 tires, all mounted on factory Jeep mags; and the seller had the orig sales reciept from his sister having bought the set (of 5) from Sam's recently; mounted balanced stems etc out the door they were $700+; and only about 8 months old; (in the meantime they had a price increase of ~$12 per tire. that's ANOTHER $60 if I were to go buy them from Sam's Club that day and had them mounted on my other set of Jeep rims (the ones that came on Cherokee #2) it would have cost me $775 out-the-door for that set of tires;
But it seems this sister of his was not too bright; 182 miles later (you read that right) she decided to trade her Jeep in as a "cash 4 Clunker" now who in their right mind would put 5 new top of the line tires on a vahicle to "clunker" it out? NOT ME! I also saw the paperwork showing the miles on that vehicle when traded.
So I bought 5 new Michelins, mounted up and ready for me to bolt-on for $450. I sold the rims and tires that came off (the buyer had no interest in the tires that were on those wheels) for $150. so thats et of 5 new ready to bolt on tires cost me $300. total. and I have the orig ticket with the road hazard etc to boot, in case I have an issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a Cooper guy myself, made in the US and always give great service. I have run them for about ten years now on my wife's Civic, my old ford pickup, and just last week I got four Coopers put on my Chevy Equinox. Smooth, quiet tires. I got mine at Pep boys, of all places, buy three get one free...500 and some change after rebate...:fing32:

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
well then I guess they would have had to make some "adjustments" in those Destinations; I remember when they came out; they were all wearing out prematurely. nobody liked them; now Firestone does make some decent stuff; but in my exp, not "that" tire.
No that was the firestone wilderness tires, they got replaced by the destinations. My dad sells them and put the destination At or LE on all of his trucks (exept the
1-ton he put transforces on) And they last a very long time and are very popular in my area.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 35k on a set of Nokian WR SUV's on my 4Runner and I like them quite a bit. The Bridgestones (H/T 840's) that came with the truck were fine on dry pavement,but left a lot to be desired in rain and snow. These stick just as well as the Bridgestones on dry pavement and I haven't had any issues in the rain or snow.

The traction control on the truck engages at any sign of wheel slip (it's actually pretty annoying), so much so with the Bridgestones, that I was worried there was something wrong with it. After talking about it with my local tire guy, he suggested the Nokian's. I was a bit doubtful that they would make that much of a difference, but he was right. It was like a totally different truck. They ride nice, good traction, and looking at the tread depth I'll probably get another 20k miles out of them.

Price wise they were on par with a set of Toyo AT's and Cooper Discoverer ATR's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts