My Tractor Forum banner

Tire studs

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  NHCASE 
#1 ·
I have a 580SL and a 1700’ downhill gravel driveway. I plow with my GMC 2500 and V plow that works great. Once in a while I need to push back the banks with the LB and on occasion there is a fair amount of ice and I struggle getting up the hill even though I have chains on the front tires. Chains will not fit on the rears and I was wondering if studding the rear R4’s is a good idea. I’ve seen Maxigrip and other studs while browsing but the price is as much as chains. So I was wondering if anyone has a cheaper solution they have tried on a 6 ton machine with good results.
Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Given that R4s are pretty much useless for snow duty, and chains are not an option, there are only two options left, install studs or buy a set of turf type tires.

My concern with studs is whether or not they can withstand the torque load without being pulled out.

In a bucket to bucket pushing contest on hard packed snow, the turfs on my SCUT were at least equal to slightly better for traction against the R4s on my neighbour's heavier CUT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.