My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a craftsman ii that has a 38"deck and a 12 horse b&s I c motor. It has 18x8.5x8 rims and tires. Can I put a set of 20x10x8 on there? They look like they will fit no problem. Or will I have issues?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
The 2nd problem most folks run into with changing tire sizes (the first being clearance) is that they fail to increase front tire size accordingly, and have problems leveling the mower deck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I tried to step up like that on one of my tractors and ran into deck clearance issues.

Other than that possible problem, about all you may have to do is either up the front tire size or level the deck after changing the rear tire size.

Larger rear tires will give you a faster ground speed in any given gear as well.

I mounted a set of 22x10.5x8 ATV tires on lawn tractor rims. They will not fit on my Craftsman II with the deck on, but they fit on our DLT-2000 just fine. Took a lil screwing around to get the deck leveled again, but not too bad - plenty of adjustment. I'll swap them over onto the Craftsman II for plow duty this winter. I wanted to run them on a lawn tractor for mowing the swampy area of our yard - the tires I got are a modified A/G style tread.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my best bet would probally be to get a set of taller front tires to level out the tractor. I have a set of brand new 20x 10 tires and my tractor needs new tires so was trying to save some money. Have to see the difference of height

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Well, all is not necessarily hopeless. Mounted height can vary widely.

Properly inflate all 4 tires, and take mounted overall height measurements.

Since you own the 20" tires already, testing the fit out costs only your time.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
i have 21x11x8" ags on mine. the only issue after leveling the deck (easy) is if the deck is up all the way, the right tire will catch the deck in reverse.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, I put the 20 x 10 x 8 on there and fit great no rub issues and looks great. plenty of room in the fenders and deck is clear. I measured the deck and there is a 1 inch difference between the front and back now. I am guessing that there is 1 inch adjustment there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts