My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got started on my wheels and tires. I got my tubes from my local JD dealer who surprisingly was the cheapest, even beat ebay prices. I decided to acquire a new toy from HF to be able to do all my small tire service as well. I simply hate paying for something I can do myself. This unit works like a charm on for breaking the beads on fronts and rears, and I easily removed the tires from the rears, however I will need pull the bearing out of the fronts in order to get the spindle opening wide enough to fit over the middle support of the tire changer or make some sort of adapter. Any suggestions for solving this minor hiccup? Figured I should go with this tire changer vs the smaller benchtop unit as I will be able to do to a wider range of tires (trailer tires, implement tires, spare tires) with this one.

I am currently chemical stiripping my rims, since I don't have access to a blaster, and will hit them with wire wheel to knock off any rust that may still be there. I know I will have to be sure to remove/neutralize all stripper, but are there any other cons against chemical stripping versus blasting to remove paint?

I will be re-installing my 26x12x12 Dico ags/bars on the rears and my V61 ribs for the fronts should be here by Friday so I will post more pics upon completion.

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Theo,
How about a long brass drift to tap the bearings out from the opposite side of the rim?

I like that tire changer. Is that the $99 one from HF?

I suppose the only downside to chemical stripper is the waste. Also strips skin pretty well, so get some of those heavy black gloves.

I've begun to notice as well that the JD dealer isn't awful when it comes to prices. Not what we've been taught to believe is it?

Those Dicos are going to look nice!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theo,
How about a long brass drift to tap the bearings out from the opposite side of the rim?

I like that tire changer. Is that the $99 one from HF?

I suppose the only downside to chemical stripper is the waste. Also strips skin pretty well, so get some of those heavy black gloves.

I've begun to notice as well that the JD dealer isn't awful when it comes to prices. Not what we've been taught to believe is it?

Those Dicos are going to look nice!
Drake,

This changer was only $50 + tax. They also have other addons for this unit but only need the base model. Figured the up front investment would be worth it vs back and forth trips to the tire shop. Feel free to stop over and use whenever, but then again you do have George down at little tire for a neighbor... :ROF Hey I did pay him a visit but JD even beat his prices.

I hadn't removed any skin, yet, but I will tell you it sure heats up real good if left unattended on your skin...:eek:mg:

I will have to agree that the dealer prices on some items seem to have come down a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok gang this is how I spent my sunday out back at the shed. After two attempts to chemically strip I gave up on it and broke out the drill, angle grinder, 3" twisted/knotted wire brush, 4" sanding flap wheel, 2" & 3" crimped wire brush wheels, and scraper. After being out there from about 11 AM - 7 PM, the two rears were scraped and then painted with a one can each of rustoleum rust reformer and then automotive primer. Two fronts are sitting up in the background, nervously awaiting their turn under the knife :sidelaugh, so to speak. Anyways just thought I would give yall a progress update. After wheels are completed and dressed in their final coat of JD yellow I will post another pic.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts