My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7117 simplicity that I want to do some plowing with. I live in the mountains in North Carolina, and want a tractor lug instead of turf tires. What ply would be best, and also the best place to get tires.I know the more ply the stronger, but does it affect the ride?I am thinking more is not always better. I see 2,4,and 6 ply tires. Would love input from people with this type of tires, and what you guys think would work best for my situation. Again, I am not on any flat land. Thanks in advance, Steve

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,660 Posts
Agreed, 4 ply for a GT is plenty. As long as you aren't in places with sharp rocks, or have roots poking up that can puncture a tire, 2-ply might be okay, but less desireable overall. I wouldn't worry about ride quality, it's not a Lincoln :), after all. Take a look at the Carlisle TruPower, great tire. If that's more than you'd want to spend, it seems like Tractor Supply has small ag tread tires 23x10.50-12, for a reasonable price, probably good enough for your needs. Where n NC are you? I'm in Newton, foot of the foothills on I-40.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I hemmed and hawed over 2 ply etc....

2 ply are puncture resistant, but, anybody got a pic of a punctured tire??

The real advantage of 2 ply should be traction. A 2 ply tire should (I say should because the new import tires are junk and hard) due to the larger footprint.

More square inches on the ground = more traction!!

I opted for radials that put 8" of width and 8" of length on the ground.

If it ever snows, I will try them out!! They should work, except for ice.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Steveo, if those Hi Runs are marked "made in New Zealand" they are probably made from the same molds as the old Carlisle Super Lugs which were a very desirable tire, especially by the tractor pulling circuit. Super Lugs are no longer made in the 23-10.5-12 size. The good thing about 2ply tires, as CadPlans sez, are that they will flex and get more rubber to the road. That's part of why the pullers use 2ply, anything else is too hard. For everyday use I don't think you can go wrong with Tru Powers or the Hi Runs. I use both on my tractors and see no appreciable difference in performance or longevity.

Weaverama

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I just bought a set of Deestones from GCT, same place as your ebay link. So far I like them, got 23x10.50's, they are slightly smaller than Carlisles, but for $100 less, they work for me. I loaded with 6 gals of washer fluid ( all they would hold) and have 30# weights on each side. I used it today to scrape some of the ice off drive, my son said the tires were tearing up ice more than the blade.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I started trying using a gallon milk jug using a valve stem put in the bottom with a hose between jug and onto valve stem on rim. This took forever and since I had a tire shop mount them that day, they weren't really seated to I was able to pop a small section off the bead, stuck a long ended funnel in it and started filling. I propped the edge up so I could get all in it I could, but 6 gallons was max. I hear other get 7 gallons in the Carlisles, maybe it's wider rims, maybe they are bigger. I them hit it with air and reseated bead, filled to about 12#'s.
I saw those hi runs at TSC too, they looked pretty nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.