My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I thought I would take my deck off to clean it out the other day on my X749. I greased everything and decided to let some air out of the tires so it rides smother.

I used to run the tires at the max air pressure. 10PSI Rear and 16 PSI Front. I now set them at 6PSI Rear and 12PSI front.

I then figured I would re-level my deck because the front left wheel always rubbed. When I went to use the deck leveling gauge sent from the factory it wouldn't fit at the 2.5" height they want you to use. So then I measured the blade tips. I cut my grass at 3.5" so I went front to back and then side to side. I had the difference to a 1/16". Good enough.

Went to lower the wheels and now the back right rubs set at the second hole it displays for 3.5" height on the deck. so I played with it some more and ended up setting the height at 3.75" so I can maintain the 1/4" to 1/2" clearance for the wheels.

Starting to irritate me a little. Any advice would be great. I don't know maybe you can not run the tire pressure that low. However if you get the ratio of tire pressure from front to back and level the deck it should work right?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
948 Posts
How much softer of a ride can you get by lowering the air pressure? The downside is the tire is going to flex more while mowing, causing the deck to ground distance to constantly change, so leveling the deck may be for naught anyway.

You set the gage wheels to the cutting height you want. Then adjust the mower deck down so the gage wheels are off the surface by about 1/2". The numbers on the deck lowering knob are reference numbers and do not necessarily equate to cutting height, according to the local Deere dealer.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
IF lowering tire pressure affects static deck leveling that much, the added weight of the driver and newton's third law of physics will make a perfect cut near impossible.

·
JD318
990 Posts
Your deck needs to be leveled with the tires at full pressure.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Not sure about yours but the X300 series has a pull out gizmo stored in the height adjustment knob.There are reference points on the back side of the deck.Thats the goofiest thing I ever seen.You need the John Deere deck leveling gauge http://www.rungreen.com/John-Deere-Mower-Deck-Leveling-Gauge_p_1062.html takes all the guess work out of it.Maybe this is what your talking about not sure?But I think its great but I do have my tire pressure set at what the book saids.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts