My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever own or use one of the small tire changers sold by Harbor Freight?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I was wrasslin' tires with mine last night. Got new 4.80-8's mounted on my Custom 10XL. The changer works well with the 6-10" rims, and is at it's capability limit with 12" rims. Invest in at least two additional HF tire irons. And dish soap. Use lots of dish soap.

Clamp or bolt the base to a sturdy workbench. Sure beats fumbling with tires on the driveway.

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They sell two different sizes, one is 4" to 12" rim capacity and the other is 8" to 16" rim capacity. I was thinking about the larger one. I don't think I would need one for anything smaller than 8".

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I bought one at Fleet farm for around $50. They take some work but in the end can save money. I have done some car tires but the last set of car tires were too stiff for me to do. I found it best to bolt down to a wood pallet so you can move yet have it stable to work on.

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought one at Fleet farm for around $50. They take some work but in the end can save money. I have done some car tires but the last set of car tires were too stiff for me to do. I found it best to bolt down to a wood pallet so you can move yet have it stable to work on.
That's what I ended up doing, bolting it to a pallet till I come up with a better solution.

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
used to have one where i worked and ill say it worked well

·
15,000 +posts!
20,715 Posts
I have an old manual Coats tire machine..getting too old to use it now I think!..I'd had it since I was probably 25..(55 now!)..

When I tired of chasing it around the garage when I'd use it not bolted to the floor,I took it outside and bolted two 2x12 planks 8 feet long to it,so I could park my truck on them..that kept it from moving!..:D..it does make it a pain to put away though,having to take off the planks..
I was going to drill holes in the concrete floor to anchor it,but never did..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have one of the larger ones from Harbor Freight bolted to a concrete floor. It works best with smaller diameter tires but on the larger ones I do not have enough leverage to break the bead. Have to run my truck over tire to break the bead and then use the tire changer to remove tire from the rim. Also you will need a couple of good tire irons and lots of soapy water.
gentlemanfarmer

·
Registered
234 Posts
Tried mine on a tire off my truck, the bead breaker just bent without breaking the bead. Ended up buying a unknown brand used one that was built much better.

The handle on the hf is hollow and likes to bend.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
472 Posts
I welded a plate to an old axle and bolted it all to a car rim. I can roll it under the bench out of the way until i need it...

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I bought one of those a while back, and like it. So far I've only changed out small tires (8" rim size) for my Gravely, and it worked well enough for them. I had to make an adapter plate for mounting the large center hole split rims from my Gravely tractor, but that wasn't too bad. Given its small size, I can see where it might not give enough leverage for the larger tires from the rear of riding tractors. The main reason that I got it instead of a bigger one is that it has a smaller center post, which lets it work well on front and implement tires without the large center hole. In looking in the manuals, it didn't look like the center post on a larger tire changer would pass through a 5/8 hole as found on many smaller tires, which were half of the tire changing I had to do at the time. By the way, here's a link to a thread about using one of these on scooter tires, and it includes some modifications you may want to consider if you are working on softer rims.
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic10771

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought the larger one and made an adapter for the smaller front rims. It worked OK for my 8" wheels and 12" wheels on my Deere.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I bought one for work and it works great. I mounted it to a car rim and just put the rim onto the rim clamp tire machine. You have to have a set of tire irons as well. We have done everything on it from go cart and pocket bike tires to all sizes of lawn and garden tires. My only criticism is I wanted to glue the rubber handle onto the bead breaker arm but at times have to be able to remove it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a HF tire changer the large one with the motorcycle attachment.
I have no problem changing Motorcycle tire to lawn tractor tires or 8" small lawn cart tire. Just bolt the tire change to the floor to keep it stable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts