My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
All Fired Up
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DGT6000 that I can not get enough traction with the turf tires to plow a garden. I am wondering if anyone has tryed chains in stead of buying lug tires? Lug tires are very expensive compared to a good set of chains.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I think Sears has always recommended Chains and weights (both on left side if pulling a moldboard plow where the right side rides in the previous furrow), do not know why they do not promte an upgrade to AG's more, though.
The theoretical advantage of Ag tires is their "self cleaning" by allowing mud to drop out of the angled lugs. Chains can just pack up with mud then you just have a smooth tire again. (and I've had that happen in muddy grass, but I was not plowing)

On the other hand, if you will be snow plowing or blowing then you will need the chains regardless if you get AGs (AG's are not so good on ice)

I would like to hear more experience of users in plowing mud of HDAP/ATV style tires on 2WD machines like ours, seems most HDAP users have 4WD machines...

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I would not buy a set of lug tires for the few times I need them on my JD GT so it's chains and weight. Pushing rock, dirt and stripping old sod works well with "2 link" spaced chains and 168# of suitcase weight on the rear. I'm sure lugs would be better in looser soil but chains are sure worth a try first.

·
Registered
129 Posts
madmantrapper,

I have a DGT6000, with 12X12X24 inch rear turf saver tires, and I have the two-link Peerless tire chains. I use them only for snowblowing and have tried them for some dozing. They work fine for snow blowing but not so much for dozing and that is with an extra 150 pounds of wheel and rear weights. Using them for plowing, though, would probably not be especially effective without as much weight as you can get on the rear end.

Are you using weights? You can put up to 2 on each side plus one on the back. Extra weights cost about $80 apiece, and the tire chains cost about the same amount unless you get them on sale. A weight kit with weight for the back costs about $120. You can also get the tires filled with fluid, adding another couple hundred pounds.

How much do lugged tires cost?

When you're trying to get traction on a hard, slick surface, chains work the best because they dig in to the ice, but when you're spinning in dirt, the lugs will dig in and give you a lot more traction than turf savers with chains.

Runningbare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts