My Tractor Forum banner

Tire Chains on a x540

342 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  donmac
Hey guys, I just installed a new set of OEM tire chains on my x540 that has the all terrain tires. Are they supposed to fit so loose ? I have them connected to the furthest link and they just seem very loose.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Different brands of tires have slightly varying circumferences. You may need to add chain tensioners (always a good idea) to them to hold them on.

Product Font Screenshot Circle Auto part
Hey guys, I just installed a new set of OEM tire chains on my x540 that has the all terrain tires. Are they supposed to fit so loose ? I have them connected to the furthest link and they just seem very loose.
Thanks for that info, Everything on my x540 is OEM the way it came from new and the chains are OEM for my x540 from the dealer. Im not sure if they are supposed to be tight or loose fitting like they are.
Different brands of tires have slightly varying circumferences. You may need to add chain tensioners (always a good idea) to them to hold them on.
You don't want them loose. They will fall off and they aren't fun to put back on when you're out in snow.
Options are
1. take them off the the last cross bar out and move it up 2 link and put back in and now you have more link to hook up to make it tight on the tire.
2. Due the chain tension that was already mention.
3. Get a quick link and use it to span 2-3 links of side chain and make it shorter. will have the side chain loose in that spot but it should not hurt anything.
Everbilt 3/8 in. Zinc-Plated Quick Link 43384 - The Home Depot

hope the quick link idea makes sense.

you can take the cross bars off just need a hammer and chiesel to spread apart the hooks put chain in a vise to hammer and chiesel the end hooks and then move it hammer it back closed or big channel lock pliers to squeeze them back shut or get a tire chain tool.

I have this and have reworked a bunch of chains for ATV's and my John Deere 140.

Tool makes it alot easier to get hooks spread apart to take out and then to close them back up.
also if you move cross bar when putting chains back on. Jack up rear of tractor let air out of tire put tire chain on as tight as you can and then air tire back up. Tire chain will be on tight and wont fall off.

My 140 I can get chains on tight enough that they stay on but for my ATV's I let the air out and put them on tight then air tire back up. ATVS travel at 3x the speed of Garden tractors. Have not had many problems with letting air out and airing back up on the tires.
The chain tightner pictured above works great. And much neater than bungee cords wrapped around the chains.

View attachment 2581059
I shortened my chains couple links! I remove valve stem and let the weight or the machine sink the tires then reinstalled the valve stem so the tires stay deflated more when jacking it up! do this and the chains will be like banjo strings with no tighteners which i hate because they block the view of my nice tims!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts