My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with hands on experience with 2 link tire chains for BX23xx`s with turf tires? Proper snug fit is 1st priority esp for front wheels. While I have the ability and tools to modify chains to fit, it is far from being a favorite task.
So, if you have purchased 2 link chains and are pleased with the fit & quality please share the brand or vendor. i.e. Tirechains.com.

Thanks !

·
22,342 Posts
Chains work great on turfs for snow removal and they're really good on reasonably firm ground in the summer. Ags are a definite improvement if summer traction conditions are really sloppy because chains are not self cleaning.

I found that chains aren't really required for winter traction if the rear tires are loaded, but I don't deal with any real slopes. Winter traction is slightly less with my 4wd MF GC2310 with loaded tires and no chains compared to my 2wd MF1655 GT with loaded tires and chains. Both tractors pull cars and trucks out of snowbanks with relative ease. They also weigh about the same ( 2450 lb +/- with operator) and carry the same implements (FEL and 5' backblade), so comparisons are valid.

Proper snug fit should be first priority for all the wheels. If the chains are correct for the tire size, there should be little modification needed. Maybe a quick link or two if they are a bit short and a pair of bolt cutters, if necessary, if they are a bit too long.

I get mine wherever I can find them. I only needed a set every 10 years or so on my GT and it ran 100 hours a year with the chains installed. They came off only when worn out and were immediately replaced.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the chains are correct for the tire size, there should be little modification needed.

((( Therein lies the problem, not all brands of a given nominal size have the same physical dimension. In addition some front turfs have round shoulders and others are more square. Therefore the chain manufacturer has to make them large enough to accomodate these variations. That`s why I was hoping to find an owner with specific input.))))

Maybe a quick link or two if they are a bit short and a pair of bolt cutters, if necessary, if they are a bit too long.

Changing length is indeed a quick and easy job, altering the width of the cross chains however is a royal PITA. Done it before to get a proper fit and don`t want to do it again.

:thanku:

·
22,342 Posts
Width shouldn't be a problem. The chains have a large amount of room available on the sidewalls. I've seen some of them run up the sidewalls only a couple of inches, and others all the way to the rim. That gives a width range of about 7" to work with on a typical GT rear tire.

The difference is that the further up the sidewalls that they run, the fewer cross chains that are available. Heavy equipment typically runs the cross chains all the way to the rim. There is no risk of those coming off because the chains aren't tight

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a set of 2 link ladder chains on turfs......
The tires are older 33-12.5x15 Goodyear turfs..

They are loaded with anti freeze and windshield washer fluid.
I live in northern zone 3. Lots of snow, ice and frozen ground.

The chains work well. I don't use anything on my front turfs with MFWD.
The chains fit well and are easy enough to put on and take off. I do use lots of bungy cords just because I want to.

Total weight, tractor, loader, rear blade, filled tires about 27-2800lb. I'm going to guess.

Good luck

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Absolutely no offense intended nor implied. I appreciate that the respondents are far more knowledgable in tractors than this newb and have provided useful information. However, no one is addressing my hopefully very specific question. Who can recommend a particular BRAND of chain for a BX 2360 that works "out of the box" and lasts? Again, I`ve bought garage sale chains and shortened/lengthened/narrowed/widened etc. I understand that this can be done. I understand the value of weighted tires and ballast. I understand that you are trying to help. I REALLY appreciate that. It is however not my question.

·
22,342 Posts
It's doubtful that you will get a definitive response.

With purchases by individuals happening rarely due to normal life expectancy of the chains, owners spread over 2 large countries, and many sellers of tire chains, you're not likely going to find more than 20 members who have bought their chains at the same place for one specific brand of tractor. Personally, I have purchased 5 sets of chains in 35 years, Only one set from each of 3 locations and 2 from another. One has been out of business for 28 years, and 2 were individuals on ebay, one with a new set that he no longer required.

You're getting the best advice that is available and I'm sorry that we can't do better, but that is the logistics involved with your request.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you look around you'll typically find normal & heavy duty. Difference is just how thick the steel is in the crosslinks (which means more metal to wear before they break).

Brand-wise, there's not really going to be much difference.

Style-wise there is a bit of difference; you've choice of 2-link or 4-link, straight or diamond crosslinks, and regular or V-bar crosslinks.

I find personally I like a set of ag tires for muddy work but 2-link straight plain chains over turfs for snow & ice. I find ags are of little if any help on ice and chaining ags is difficult as the crosslinks simply slide down into the bars. (buying diamond pattern chains is an excellent choise if you're planning to put them on ags)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Specific BRANDS...... OK.....

Coincidentally I got my chains from a John Deere dealer.

There are bound to be lots of choices in your area depending on your local tractor, ag supply stores, and tire dealers..... For instance, your area will have different things to offer than mine.

And according to my kid, she says "Google is my friend"

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts