My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone please share some tips on tire chain installation? When I bought my Agco last year, they were already on. I tried this afternoon and can't seem to get them on.

Huge thanks to anyone who can help out. I have big snow coming and I need to get them on stat! :thanku:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Like the link Oo-v-oO. I usually put a jack under the diff, lift, let air out of the tires. Then put chains on tight, then air them back up and set it down. Works well for me!!

·
Banned
271 Posts
Easy... Lay em out, make sure you have the hooks for the cross chains with the ends down on the ground, so that they are out away from the tire, have the side with the simple hook to the inside, the side with the foldback hook on the outside, lay em out flat on the ground and roll onto them to about the center, pull up the inside ends and hook them, pull up the outside ends slide the foldback hook through and back and latch, get em as tight as you can and then use them for a while, they will settle in and may need retightening. Also you can criss cross a couple short bungee cords across the wheel to keep them snugged up and from flopping around.

I never needed a cheater block, and i have done a lot of chains, from large tractors on the farm to snow blowers and lawn tractors... Its all down to the technique, no cheesy blocks needed.

Another trick that i do a lot on snowblowers is deflate the tires put the chains on snug, then pump them back up. Same thing only reverse in the spring when you need to pop em off, if they are too tight to get off deflate the tire to get some more slack in the chains.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Air them down a bunch

Put the chains on as tight as you can

Air the tires up

Done

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I went back out to give it a shot before I had read these responses. I wound up jacking up the rear and wrapping them up and on that way. Inside hook first. No sweat. Didn't need to deflate.

·
Registered
905 Posts
i jack up the back, drape chains over tire, hook the inside, hook the outside, put on bungees to tighten, only takes a few minutes.

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I just put a set of chains on the SS18 yesterday, the chains i got are the type for lug tires I think and What a bear to put on.........:banghead3:banghead3
I have put chains on many times and all different sizes but nothing like these :banghead3
but they are on now :) I can't see them ever coming off until I get my lug tires.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I often put mine on away from home (mud/snow etc. encountered requiring them). I Stretch them out on the ground behind the rear wheels, crossbar hooks down, position them so that they are centered and even, then back onto them until about a foot is left at the rear. Drag the fronts of the chains up over the tire, hook the simple hook, play with the crosslinks to straighten them, hook the folding latch, and back to work! Usually takes me about 5 minutes to chain up.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I must confess, when I have to put on the chains, it takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hour a set. Usually I take off the wheel weight, adjust the air, install the chains, adjust the air, check for proper wheel movement, put the wheel weight back on, install cross ties, roll off the block of wood.
Between removing bolts and nuts, usually head for the first aid box for a bandaid or 2. For some reason, my hands tend to find the sharp edges of the rear axle housing. A tractor with DNA.

·
22,343 Posts
I install my chains with no pressure changes and no tensioners and they stay put untill they're worn out after 9 or 10 years, unless the tire loses pressure.

That takes about 15 minutes a tire, carefully setting the chain in place and forcing the foldover lock to latch. If you can easily latch that, the chains aren't tight enough.

·
Registered
953 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts