My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was success full at getting my new chains installed, there must be an easier way. Anyone have instructions, tips or tricks to make installation easier?

I bought mine off CL and this was my first time with chains so that was a factor. The chains were twisted some as well making the task even more daunting.

·
Just passing through
8,414 Posts
While I was success full at getting my new chains installed, there must be an easier way. Anyone have instructions, tips or tricks to make installation easier?

I bought mine off CL and this was my first time with chains so that was a factor. The chains were twisted some as well making the task even more daunting.
Buy them installed...:sidelaugh

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know why it seems everyone has trouble putting these on. All i do is jack the tractor up so tires off floor. I put the chains around the tires align them and pull some then clip both tires in less than 10 minutes including jacking it up....

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't know why it seems everyone has trouble putting these on. All i do is jack the tractor up so tires off floor. I put the chains around the tires align them and pull some then clip both tires in less than 10 minutes including jacking it up....
I will 2nd that. Much easier if you jack it up. That driving over them thing sucks

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,256 Posts
I'll 3rd that. Hydraulic floor jack. Pick up the rear end of the tractor. Detangle and straighten chains first. Lay chain over the top of the tire and rotate it around; attach the inside hook and then the outside hook/latch. Take up any slack with a few 50-cent bungee cords. I did two tractors in under a half hour. It did take me a few years to learn this though - I used to think mounting tire chains was the worst job in the world too.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Yep, jack 'er up. One thing I do but don't know if other do is I let the air out, mount the chains and get them as tight as possible, then put the air back in. Of course I don't have filled tires. My chains are not completely tight but I've never had a problem with them coming off.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I hate chains with a passion. Ever try to put on chains on a semi? That sucks and I've done it on GT's also in about 10 minutes I just hate chains. slkpk

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,256 Posts
Make sure you use 2-link chains. 4's suck; they're like driving on speed bumps. The worst part of chains is trying to get them nice and tight - that's where I always struggled for an hour. Like Dave said, a little loose is OK; now I just slap 'em on and go. Never popped one yet unless a link broke.

Edit: one more tip. Sit behind the tractor and feed the chains over the tire. If you face the side the inside always falls off and the chains get all askew. Another thing that took a few years to figure out.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I hate chains with a passion. Ever try to put on chains on a semi? That sucks and I've done it on GT's also in about 10 minutes I just hate chains. slkpk
Find a spot where the ambient temperature is about 10 degrees Fahrenheit with 30 MPH winds. You will perfect your technique in no time. That's how I learned to get them on in CO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jack tractor up and remove valve cores to deflate the tires.
Drape the chain over the top of the tire with the latch link outside and make sure that the cross bar link ends are laying flat against the sidewalls.
Attach the inside link connector fairly snug after evening out the cross bar spacing.
Take up the slack on the ouside by installing the latch link. It doesn't have to be too tight.
Again, even out the cross bar spacing and make sure there are no twisted links.
Reinstall valve cores and inflate tires to recommended pressure.

That should do it!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yep...jacking up the tractor looks to be the consensus here. I have found that to be the easiest method also.

Always orient the chains so that the pointed ends the the chain are facing away from the tire, so there will be no chance of puncturing the tire.

Drape the chains over the top and hook the insides first then the outside. You may need to adjust the hooks afterwards to get a tighter fit.

I have never used bungee cords on my chains and have never had a problem with them falling off, so I would think this would be someones preference.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Always orient the chains so that the pointed ends the the chain are facing away from the tire, so there will be no chance of puncturing the tire.
This is my first year with the pointed spikes on each rung of the chains. The chains I had for my ford did not have them. I pointed the spikes toward the tire so that it did not dig into the concrete driveway or the painted floor in the garage and it has been working fine for me. Is there a certain name for the chains with spikes in them?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess for my first time I didn't do it all wrong then. I did jack up the rear a bit and it worked pretty well. The chains were just very tight and latching the outside I had to use some pliers to get a good grip and pull pull pull. I thought about deflating the tires at one point but then was able to complete the task. No tensioner will be required. I do see one mistake I've made however. My hooks are against the tire. Not wanting to damage my sidewalls I guess I'll get to practice this again by reinstalling with hooks out.

Thanks for the informative replies.

·
whiskeykilo
123 Posts
:eek:mg: You guys are providing some great entertainment for this old Idaho logger. And, yes I do have a set for those muddy days,:sidelaugh

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll 3rd that. Hydraulic floor jack. Pick up the rear end of the tractor. Detangle and straighten chains first. Lay chain over the top of the tire and rotate it around; attach the inside hook and then the outside hook/latch. Take up any slack with a few 50-cent bungee cords. I did two tractors in under a half hour. It did take me a few years to learn this though - I used to think mounting tire chains was the worst job in the world too.

WHAT HE SAYS!
:thThumbsU :thThumbsU :thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.