My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone!

I've recently purchased a new to me 212. It came with the hydro lift, 47 deck, 43 blade, sleeve hitch, brinly plow, and best of all 30 inch hydraulic tiller. The 212 will be used primarily for dirt work and my 318 will handle mowing and snow duties.

Anyway, this will be only my second garden tractor and first gear driven tractor. In reading another thread I saw it noted that the variable speed lever should not be moved unless the tractor is running.

This got me thinking, I didn't know that, what else don't I know!

So 200 series experts, what other baseline...tips...tricks..general things should I know about operating my 212?

And, i know, pictures! I pick it up this weekend and will post pictures then.

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
33,583 Posts
The right brake pedal shouldn't be used! Not sure why they put it on there but if you don't hit the clutch first you'll wish you did! After not doing this I learned to check my engine mounts before the engine falls sending the drive pulley into the frame! (This was before I was an MTF member!)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I forgot I had the pictures the seller sent here. Here are a couple.

·
Super Moderator
33,583 Posts
I didn't realize they had a hydraulic tiller setup for the 200 series! Or did you mod it? Very nice tiller to have on it though!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no mod. I guess it was an original option for the 200 series. In my search for information while deciding whether to buy this or not I did seem to find that it wasn't very commonly found on a 200 series tractor though.

·
Three of my friends
8,998 Posts
If they quit running the FIRST thing to is check the points if everything else is good (fuel,oil).

You can remove the starter without removing the motor.

You can't check the compression the same way you check it on other engines because it has a compression release.

You can't use an automotive coil on a Kohler BECAUSE auto coils are designed to fire multi times and Kohler only fires one time so the energy builds up and burns the coil.

The last 2 notches on variator (usually)does not increase the forward speed,no body knows why.
The motor will run without a condensor but will not run long so if the points are burned,replace the condensor.

Heavier oil will quit the transmission gears down.Some run 300 wt mixed with 90 wt.

The steering box can be reworked to make the 200 series steer better.

Play in the steering wheel is usually caused by wear on the stud that runs on the worm gear inside the steering box.
Cub cadet uses the same gear box but has a smaller output shaft.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
The biggest tip I have is...
USE JOHN DEERE BELTS!

There are so many complaints of the variator binding and not working, but they are not Deere belts.

Some other tips are,

1. Easy on the clutch, belts will last for ages
2. The Carter carburetors are better than the Walbro replacements. If your tractor has one, I would replace it. They are night and day for some people, and some are luckier for others
3. They will pull anything just about anything, yard carts, small trees, other tractors. The wheels will slip before the engine runs out of torque

·
Registered
437 Posts
If it looks like those pictures when you get it, you will have a very nice looking tractor. None of the 200 series that I have seen have a left hand lever like yours. I thought yours must be a very late model but I see it has a manual PTO so it must be because of the hydraulics??? Hope you will post a bunch of pictures when you get it. And I hope it serves you well.

·
Super Moderator
13,354 Posts
I think it is a 1977 (got a little inside info on that one :) )

I can't wait for more pictures and your take on performance with the hydro tiller. It
certainly looks good in the pictures.

If you do need to change the variator belts, come on up to Ames and get some practice on the 110 that way you have experience (and I wont have to do mine)

·
Super Moderator
16,672 Posts
I didn't realize they had a hydraulic tiller setup for the 200 series! Or did you mod it? Very nice tiller to have on it though!
Here a Picture from a Catalog Tim of the 3oinch Hydraulic tiller for the 200 series 1975 till 1987

I believe they Came out with the Hydraulic tiller for the 200 series in 1985 Because his Has Hydraulic lift. It looks like it didn't need the adjustable spring assist That you should be able to make out In this Picture resting on top of the Tiller:thThumbsU

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the thoughts all! I can't wait to pick it up this weekend and put it to work!

The tutorial items here will help me quite a bit I'm sure.

Kyle, im just hoping my variator is working well right off the bat!

·
322 jd. with loader
386 Posts
nice looking machine you have there , i have a 210 ( not running ) wish it looked as good as your 212 does , with a lot of elbow grease it may some yr . i really do like the tiller set up .
g.l. cant wait to see a BIG tomato from garden

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, extremely clean! Looks like a great set-up, I'm jealous of the tiller, hahaha. Very nice find, enjoy it!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all, I picked up the and am quite happy. Now I just need it to dry out so I can get to tilling!

The tractor doesn't want to stay in 3rd gear. The seller didn't know a out that as he thought it had been fixed. He's thinking maybe the quadrant isn't installed exactly right. I'll look into that.

Any, I've got a couple things I'm not sure of. The first is a big spring. I'm assuming that is part of the spring assist system? Is it all there? I've got hydro lift on this and unless there is some reason I need the spring system I'll likely sell the spring.

What's the other piece? Looks like part of a mule drive but no wheels on it?

Thanks everyone!

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
The piece with the two arms with a squarish piece on it hooks the front of the mower deck to the tractor. The spring almost looks like the main lift spring.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess that piece with the arms is important!

Main lift spring...is that needed if I have the hydro lift option?

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
That would be for the main lift for manual lift, so you would not need it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great. Is it worth anything? What do the front blades for these go for roughly?

·
Super Moderator
13,354 Posts
Great. Is it worth anything? What do the front blades for these go for roughly?
I think about 100 -150, not a whole lot from what I have seen :sorry1:

Pictures of the truck bed stuff... but no pictures of the tractor? :wwp: :)

·
Super Moderator
16,672 Posts
Guess that piece with the arms is important!

Main lift spring...is that needed if I have the hydro lift option?
I Know You need the spring if You Have electric lift for the tiller It Might be worth Keeping Just in case you ever sell the tiller somewhere down the line:thThumbsU

1 - 20 of 21 Posts