My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read people talk about spreading top dressing on their lawns to enhance growth. It sounds like this is some kind of compost or just good black dirt. I bought a yard of black dirt last weekend to patch some really thin areas in the yard. I first spread the soil with a yard rake then added seed and starter fertilizer. After that, I added another layer of dirt. The areas I did this to are pretty lumpy and thicker than the rest of the yard. I am assuming some of that dirt settle. Did I do this right or should I have just raked the thin spots, put down seed/fertilizer and then add the black dirt on top? I am thinking about getting another yard or two of black dirt and spread it in some more thin areas and want the dirt to go as far as it can. Thanks

·
-
1,833 Posts
From what I know it's OK if the dirt/compost settles, it's supposed to be amending your soil with nutrients - i.e. the rain'll wash them into the soil and feed the grass, like leaving the grass clippings on the lawn. Adds biomass to the soil.

I've seen a couple of vidoes of it being done and they just spread it by hand from a shovel, broadcasting it everywhere similar to putting down fertilizer.

I have heavy clay soil so I plan to do this to help with the soil quality when I overseed soon.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Nothing wrong with the way you did it. In fact,it might even help the seed germinate easier if the dirt is deep enough.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Grass seed doesn't like to be buried. After top dressing and seeding, just roll the area or use the back of a spring tine leaf rake to lightly rake the area.

I apply the top dressing thin enough that the existing grass pokes through it. If I need to fill in low spots, I just apply a little more later in thin layers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts